RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Elements 3 announced

Old 09-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Janitor

Elements 3 announced

http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/di_dv_splash.html

Evidently it's ok for me to discuss this now, so I'll start a thread.

E3 is cosmetically very different from v2 (or Photoshop) in default mode, at least in the Windows version. Everything docks to popout wells, but you can drag them out and they become free palettes like we're used to.

Photoshop Album has morphed into Elements Organizer, which seems very capable (but with some odd inclusions and limitations). Mac users don't get Organizer.

But my favorite new thing is the Spot Healing brush. I suggested this during the PScs beta over a year ago, but no one from Adobe will admit it was my idea It lets you simply paint over a dust spot or scratch and it automatically uses surrounding data to fill it in.

It's a big departure from the "Photoshop Lite" approach of v2. A big push towards automatic fixes and effects, all done with big colorful buttons.

There are still areas I can't discuss, but I'll answer the questions I can (assuming anyone has any).

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 09-16-2004 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2004, 08:11 PM

...but still no (direct) action support.

Do you know if the underlying plumbing is the same that would enable HPPE and SnapAction add-on users to upgrade to E3 and continue using actions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Janitor

That's really more in Richard's area, but I wouldn't count on it without some 3rd-party upgrading. Recipes are now called "How To's". For all I know they're the same thing with a new name, but from a few passing comments I suspect they're different.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2004, 11:19 AM

Hidden Power, yes, already completed. Snap Actions, not really--the interface no longer supports that implementation.

I am able to deploy my tools in Elements (bring you curves, channels and a bunch of other things, just like before) but there is no means of really manipulating the interface as before. OR should I say, I am not going to be so quick to give away my means to someone else so they can create competing tools. Learned my lesson last time.

I can, again, get probably any action to work. More involved changes in the interface I will save this time until I am fully able to implement them. I disagree that there is 'no interface' for actions. There is a pretty simple one for playing single actions using Effects.

If you'd like to do some conversions for your actions, Danny, I can help you with that.

Things I like best about PE3: RAW file support and 16-bit file support. That removes just about any objection to the idea that most people really don't need Photoshop. Almost anyone can use Elements without objection. Regardless of what the reviews say, you can move from 8-bit to 16-bit...Hidden Power has the moves: http://aps8.com/hppe3.html

Things I like less: The rather ridiculous interface-interface on the PC version. I find it more difficult to navigate the PC program to get things done because parts of the program are split up...what should be a button bar is some extravagant interface to navigate the interface--and to me, that is what windows is for. I don't need a little scene to show me what I am planning on doing when I want to create a web photo gallery...it is a little miopic as far as design.

In all, I think the release enhances the value for Elements users, and gives less excuses for amateurs to move to CS...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2004, 05:52 AM

Smile

Is it safe to assume that the new tool is a duplicate of the healing brush in CS or the patch tool?

Interesting that Adobe would overhaul the interface. Not enough to really push upgrading from PE2 (if you don't need 16-bit and RAW as most amateurs don't), yet something to make PE2 users yearn for a new version. But then the bills continue and upgrading existing user base is profitable.

I don't mean to be negative here, just thinking out loud. Sounds like a new PE3 book is needed, too, Richard!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2004, 06:22 AM

I happen to be finishing up a rewrite of the Hidden Power book on PE3 in the next week--with a new tool set on the CD to go along with the changes. It'll take another 6-8 weeks before it hits stores. http://aps8.com/hppe3.html ...I've cleaned up some of the wordings, and added some information about 16-bit use.

The new tool Doug mentions is the healing tool, and the other tool for spot healing, which I do remember him suggesting (and thinking he was a little off at the time ). I think you are right that less advanced users will not need the RAW or 16-bit functionality, and that there are mostly tidbits for most users upgrading from PE2. However, these (RAW and 16-bit) are probably the two most frequent requests I have for adding features in, and certainly most of the few valid objections to what PE2 couldn't do (that CS could). Don't discount the power of the Organizer...While I don't like the interface-interface (it was suggested to me in the beta forum that I was an old fogey resisting change--me who impatiently adds functionality to Elements...), the Organizer itself can be a powerful and useful tool.

did that answer your questions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2004, 10:33 PM

Richard, as a web developer (big term, little meaning) your knowledge, coupled with your experience makes for a unique product. No real offense meant, but your website does little to support that. All I hear about these days regards Paint Shop Pro is the Hidden Elements. I am sure you are satisfied, as you should be. It's just as an interested observer, I can't help feeling your website could be more effective.

I also realiise that I could be speaking out of turn and without cause, I don't wish to speak out of turn or cause offense, so forgive me if I do.

If any suggestions are welcomed I would be more than glad to stick my big fat nose in, otherwise I will try and keep my self to my self.

Most of the above centrered around my loathing of PSP and my fascination for you trying to make it more powerful.

Once again, I really hope I didn't cause too much offense in my drive to be helpfull.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2004, 08:01 AM

Hey, Mike...

No problem. I don't doubt the site could improve, but i am wondering what you have in mind--and if it is necessary for what the site is. Your suggestion is a little vague; 'better' means a lot of different things to different people. I spend far more time on the information (books, tools, newsletter) than maintaining the site--it is really not much more than a means of posting some content. I'm a one man, two-job show--suggestions welcome. Feel free to send an email.

BTW - the product is Elements, not PSP.

PS - still waiting, Mike (10.10.04).

Last edited by Richard_Lynch; 10-10-2004 at 07:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software