RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Adobe .dng format

Old 11-03-2004, 04:47 AM

Adobe .dng format

I wonder if anybody has had a play with this new format. I've downloaded the converter but not seen much need for it so far the CS .raw plug-in seems to cope for my files
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Janitor

As I understand it, DNG is not so much supposed to save the day by converting other files to it, rather it's a new file format for new cameras to start using, much like TIF was developed by Adobe for lossless image storage years ago. Of course it would also be a standard for sharing and collaboration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2004, 09:35 PM

You may find this interesting: http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w....5@.3bb615f2/0

I think it may be a bit early to do but I imagine we'll all be converting our files sooner or later as camera companies abandon their support for "old" raw formats. At the seeming rate of a new raw format for each new raw capable camera, how huge will Adobe Raw Converter be to accommodate all those formats? I think we should all be glad the big boy on the block is moving to -maybe force is too strong- create a new Industry wide solution.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2004, 10:50 AM

Problems downloading Adobe DNG-converter

Hi Chris,

I have tried over and over again to get hold of the Adobe DNG-converter for Win from the Adobe website, but all of my efforts resulted only in putting me up with BIG frustration. When hitting the download-link I find myself switching endlessly back and forth between secured and nonsecured pages. Finally I searched their ftp-site, but could not find the DNG converter. The Japonese version from the Adobe JP-site swings in effortlessly, so I am thinking of getting some Japanese language courses and run everyting in JP (just joking). Seriously can you by any chance tell me where I can download this file, other than the Adobe website. On my search I found different links, but after activating those, they all redirected me back to the Adobe download pages ... .

Thanks,
Hans
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2005, 05:20 AM

resurrecting this one from the grave...

Hans, do you have non english characters in your Adobe ID? Another user reported the problems to Adobe, it should be fixed by now...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2005, 06:29 AM

Manufacturers support?

Has anyone heard of a camera manufacturer who has actually come out in support of the DNG format? Until that happens it seems like a dead end, unfortunately. It would seem pointless to convert camera RAW format files into DNG, & if you do you'd want to keep a back-up of the original RAW.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2005, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sPECtre
Hans, do you have non english characters in your Adobe ID? Another user reported the problems to Adobe, it should be fixed by now...
Hello Pierre,
My Adobe ID SEEMS JUST RIGHT. It allows me to go any places on the adobe website. I also can download any file, except the one containing the DNG converter for Win. Very strange! Meanwhile another member of the RetouchPro forum was so kind to send me the DNG installation file. Thank you for your reply.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software