RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Browsers

View Poll Results: Which Browser
Internet Explorer 37 44.05%
Netscape Navigator 5 5.95%
Opera 7 8.33%
Any Others ? 35 41.67%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2001, 06:01 PM

Browsers

In a moment of weakness and on a friends recommendation I've just installed Netscape 6 to compare it with Internet Explorer. I just thought I'd ask what browsers people use and if anything else pops up as well as the usual Netscape and Microsoft offerings.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2001, 07:55 PM

With the dismal connections in this part of the barely explored and civilized world, nothing works really well except standing on the back step and howling at the moon. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2001, 09:41 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
We're using Netscape 4.02. If you think I'm bad with computers, meet my wife! If I changed browsers she would have such a tough time with it, I'd probably be looking for a home cooked meal for a month or two.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2001, 04:26 AM

I prefer Netscape Communicator 4.72 but I have IE5 installed as well. I often use both browsers to test web pages I've designed. For sheer speed when researching a topic I use Opera, it's a good no frills browser and great for research. As I said before I prefer Netscape although IE5 has some tricks that netscape doesn't support. I find that when designing a page if it works in netscape it'll work in IE but not the other way around. Netscape is far less forgiving of coding errors therefore making me more careful of my programming.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2001, 04:43 AM

Interesting , glad to see somebody else using Opera which I like very much and is popular with my friends. I'm not well versed in the black arts of web design but I've noticed even on this site Netscape differs in its presentation, theres no loss of information or usability just slight variation in the graphics. I find even using the latest version of Opera It will fall down on some sites and I have to fire up IE5. I think a lot of organisations believe users like fancy graphics and frippery and reflect this in their sites. The majority of users I know especially researchers always look for text versions for speed.

Ed, Why not install IE5 or whatever to run in parallel with Netscape thus saving you from the soup kitchens of Chicago.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2001, 03:02 PM

Ill be interested to see how this vote comes out. I use both browsers IE and Netscape. I just downloaded netscape 6 and I am disapointed because the main font which I use for my website is called "mistral" and is not working. It defaults to some arial font or something. In my previous version of netscape 4. something the font came thru fine. It also works great for the newest version of IE.

What is strange is in the settings of the new netscape under edit-preferences-appearance-fonts there are different font settings and under the fantasy section, I can find mistral font. I also have the box checked that says allow documents to use other fonts.

If anyone else has the latest version of netscape, I would love to know if you can see the correct font. Also If any opera users would take a look I would appreciate knowing how it comes thru on that browser. If you want to go to my webpage it is

http://members.home.net/cendres3

You will see that the link buttons show the mistral type because those buttons were a graphic I created in PSP, but the rest of the type is also in mistral but it is not showing up that way on my browser.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what else I can do I would be all ears - Thanks for taking time to read this - Carl
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2001, 09:41 PM

Chris,

I'm going to download IE6 tonight. Thanks for the suggestion. If I like it better than Netscape, all my bookmarks will go there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2001, 09:54 AM

After much resistance, I switched from Netscape to IE. I mainly use IE 5 as being a web designer, 90% of browsers are IE unfortunately. Coding websites these days are annoying if you are using any 'tricky' javascript coding. Each browser has it's own little quirks and these days, you more or less have to write 3 sets of code for one website. This is rediculious and I'm just waiting for flash to start to 'dominate'. You create a site once and know it will work the same regardless of the browser.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2001, 06:37 PM

Matt, Am I right in assuming that sites are built to humour IE ? I try to use Opera as much as I can but as stated have to raise the white flag on some sites and use IE.

Ed, Thats a hell of a download can't you get it on a free disc ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2001, 07:17 PM

Yeah, probably could. But I downloaded it during the night, so it didn't bother me at all. I think it took about 1 hour and 45 minutes. But it's up and running. So far I like it real well, especially since I can save the HTML tutorials with no problem. Thanks for the tip Doug.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software