Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Image Processing software

Old 12-10-2004, 07:14 AM
Image Processing software

This is about couple of softwares I have been trying out for the last few months. AstraImage ( and ImageJ
( The first one is for Windows (commercial software) while the latter is freely downloadable and has support for many platforms.

Both have some very powerful features helpful for image restoration professionals. It includes tools to remove patterns, removal of shading, de-blurring aids etc. Many of the desperate problems raised in the Help forums of RTP has solutions in these softwares, to an extent. It doesn't do any magic but certain areas which were thought of as without remedy could be addressed. And the time spent on such tasks could be reduced considerably.

Among similar softwares, I have seen only the name of FoveaPro and IPTK being discussed in the RTP forums. Besides these, there are plenty of such softwares in this domain.

One thing I felt about many RTP members is that even without the aid of such tools they are able to get very remarkable results. I can only imagine how much more their capabilities could be enhanced. And I am also sure that many would master these tools in no time. I request the members of this forum not to ignore the use of these tools.

I too am a starter and has not been able to make much progress in mastering these softwares. One thing I could learn easily was the removal of patterns. It just takes about 5 minutes to remove a uniform pattern from an old photograph. But the filter works only on grayscale images. (I'll soon post some of the results in the corresponding threads and post the URL here also). With the help of AstraImage some success could be attained in de-blurring out of focus pictures also. I am in no position to explain the principle involved, as I am not good at understanding or explaining them. But I am ready to share whatever I have learned through trial and error and whatever few URLs I have on these.

I have uploaded one photo where the pattern has been removed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software