Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Extensis Photoframe 2.5 mini review

Old 01-21-2005, 07:05 AM
Extensis Photoframe 2.5 mini review

Just got this off ebay for $120. Normal street price is $199.

It's got hundreds of edge effects, textures, frames etc.

This version is nice because it can create the effects in a new layer which you can apply as a mask. Additionally, it's a plug-in and it's interface uses layers which allow you to apply combinations of edge effects and frames which is cool.

Additionally, it allows you to resize the edge effect or frame or even rotate it to match your picture.

Some of the cool edges it has are brushed canvas, fabric, emulsion, etc. In each category there are typically 6 or more (sometimes as many as 30) variations.

All in all, it's a great product but I believe it's overpriced. I would prefer if the edges were implemented simply as JPG or TIF files you could load and size to taste. The functionality provided by the plug-in supplies no additional technology that you couldn't accomplish yourself loading files and transforming.

The GUI would be greatly improved if it showed the edges in a table by category. You *CAN* preview each edge but to do this you have to essentially open a file window and select each edge, one by one. This is tedious and typically you grow tired of doing this, particularly because the images are divided up into 5 main folders and then each folder contains about 20 folders each of which contain 6-30 images. Not a very good GUI...

Additionally, the installation only installs a small sample of edges on your machine so you have to keep the CD around to get the full suite of edges. Of course you could install them to your hard disc but the program should ask you during installation and copy them for you.

Perhaps there will be a version 3 which has the improvements that I'm looking for. If so, I will probably upgrade assuming the price is $49 or less. Otherwise I'll stick with the current version.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks for doing that little mini review Jaz. I bought 2.5 last year and loaded it and got frustrated and haven't used it since. Maybe I should look at it again. It just seems like such a crappy interface. And their upgrades to the new version are ½ price, ie 100$

The next upgrade should be free since this is such a poor excuse for programing.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software