RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Topaz Labs Support Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Topaz Labs Support Forum Official support forum for the Topaz line of Photoshop plugins

Welcome to the Topaz Labs support forum

Old 12-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Janitor

Re: Welcome to the Topaz Labs support forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Are you suggesting we start a whole new Topaz Support thread?
This is the Topaz Labs Support Forum. Start as many Topaz support threads as you like. That's why it's here. If you cram all the Topaz issues into one single thread it might help you, but it won't help future users looking for support on that same issue (which is why Topaz requested a forum here).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2008, 09:34 AM

Just for the record, I think that you need to understand how many of us use this forum. I for one don't go to the main menu and research what I want to discuss.

When I joined this forum, I set up my settings to send me an email whenever an item that I had shown interest in had a post. Thus, I click the link and enter a thread and see the recent comment. It does not seem surprising that one would read a comment and then reply. To expect that someone would do a reverse search for "topic relevance" really does not surprise me.

I understand that chaos in the forums does not help, but a softer approach seems needed in a World where we are "Policed" to exhaustion.

I am afraid many of the forums, no matter how valuable they may be, always have moderators who make a big deal of things that to them are important and make the forum less useful or guilt filled to the common user.

If someone gets off subject, I think a FRIENDLY comment or even an apologetic word that they have moved the comments to the correct forum are more appropriate. We are supposed to be helping each other and I have gained much from the information posted here.

When I created my avatar and username, I hoped to telegraph that my interest is the the past and how it relates to the present photographically. I noticed the mods avatar was designed to show frustration with the users (banging ones head on desk). Sorry f I have oversimplified this and sorry to anyone that I have offended.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2008, 09:42 AM

I hope that i am not pouring oil onto troubled waters here

I think that the point being made was that instead of adding to the welcome to topaz support forum post

start a new thread, instead, and join in with the post if you want too as in all the other forums

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen-shot.jpg (86.6 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2008, 09:51 PM

Hello,
I'm interested in the Topaz Vivacity, however my system is a G5 Mac, not an Intel. Since my computer is only 3 years old I am not willing to buy an Intel Mac at this time. I've invested way too much money adding a second hard drive, more memory, larger monitor, and lots of software.
Is there a recommended work around?
If not, I won't be able to use your software.

Thanks,
C. Gentz
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Like some other plug-in developers, Topaz Labs has made an Intel Mac the minimum requirement for their software. I'm writing you from home using a dual 800 G4; while I can still run Leopard and Adobe CS4, other software has moved beyond this machine (as should be expected in the world of technology). Thankfully I have a MacBook to carry back and forth and a Mac Pro in the office so I can keep up to date!

If unlike myself you have no other option to run Intel-only software, and since Intel processors smoke the G5 (plus they support the running of Windows as necessary), you may wish to consider selling your system sometime soon (while it still has some value) and moving ahead hardware-wise. Hard drives are cheap, so is RAM, and you can still use the software (and possibly the monitor) you already have. You don't want to miss out on the latest software by remaining on an obsolete processor platform.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2008, 07:55 AM

Actually you can still use the hard drives in a MacPro too. Most all of your software sill still run. A few exceptions (really old stuff) may require you to run under Rosetta.

I have a rule of thumb about upgrading. When the processor speed doubles from what my current CPU will run, it's time to upgrade. OR when my 3 years of Apple Care runs out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2008, 07:06 PM

I may be upgrading to an IMac. But since the only reason to upgrade is to buy new software, just not sure if willing to do it yet, since I don't make any money with it. I just love photography and need to have great editing capabilities.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2009, 06:40 PM

Newbie with questions

Hi Eric and Co:

I was ready to purchase Noiseware Pro and then happened upon a forum rave about Topaz. I'm now sold and excited but have a few questions.

I'll be using it with Lightroom and CS4.
1. The basic bundle alone or bundle plus Vivacity? Complementary? Somewhat repetitive?
2. How smoothly do the plug ins work with PS CS4 and the new Mac Intel OS?
3. are there any coupons out there to ease the cost of the purchase?

Any advice/info appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 08:50 AM

Hi all,

Looks like I missed the last thread email notification! If anyone else still needs the file to disable multiprocessor support, just email us at support[at]topazlabs.com and include what you need.

Mark:

1. Vivacity is a collection of filters that seek to improve image quality. The bundle is a suite of our 3 newest plug-ins that are also sold on their own. The one point of overlap between Vivacity and the bundle is in noise reduction.

Vivacity uses what's called wavelet-based noise reduction, which is the technology that most 3rd party noise reduction software use. This has the advantage of being comparatively fast but doesn't preserve as much detail as is possible using a newer noise reduction method.

DeNoise uses the newer method and, although it's slower in processing, it gives a much higher quality output by preserving more details while removing more noise. To the best of our knowledge, only Topaz DeNoise uses this method.

2. The plug-ins work completely with Tiger and Leopard and CS4. However, they are not compatible with Lightroom 2 yet.

3. We've tried to make the bundle the coupon code =). There's a significant chunk of savings in getting the bundle off of already affordably-priced software, especially considering some of the alternatives.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Eric
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2009, 01:00 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

The Topaz plug-ins seem to be for download only, but that's not a problem – simply burn your downloads to disc yourself for security (you should do this with any software you acquire via download anyway). That's more efficient than having a single tiny-size plug-in on a 700-meg CD; you can fit tons of plug-ins on one CD or DVD rather than having a shelf full of inefficiently stored items.

I store my plug-ins on data DVDs and keep current-version working copies of all of them on an external hard drive for easy access. I do admit I have a number of original plug-in CDs and DVDs that I received in the mail over the years, but I either stack them in CD tubs (50/100) or keep them in CD storage binders. But these discs are exceptions to the more commonly offered download-only titles, which I personally prefer (do I ever read through the hard-copy manuals I have clogging up my bookshelf? Not often...).

Note: Get 15% off any Topaz title using the coupon code here.

Last edited by plugsnpixels; 12-18-2009 at 02:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Topaz Labs Support Forum