RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Mother and Son - Contributed by Legacy

Old 03-22-2005, 02:08 PM

Lovely image of a very sweet moment -- it brings out a lot of creativity from everyone, as evidenced by all your submissions so far.

Followed Christine's lead and tried to remove the hair from over her eye, did some color adjustments, then a Sketch-> Notepaper set to Luminosity layer mode (lowered opacity), added a layer mask to bring back some luster in their eyes, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vikki-Cameron-for-LArts-cj1.jpg (78.7 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2005, 05:21 PM

Had to try this beautiful photo too.

I started off by extracting figures from the background, removing badges from girl’s top and resized to 300 dpi. Applied slight buzz simplify to duplicate and smudged to remove jpeg artifacts. Used a bit of dodging on the dark areas around the little boy’s eyes. Added gradient background in soft peach from photo. Duplicated and used smart blur, edges only to get the outline then blurred outline with gaussian blur. Applied Multiply blend mode to edges and reduced opacity.

Took snapshot of image (select all, copy merged, paste into new layer) and applied watercolour filter. Overlaid b/w clouds layer to background area. Applied circular gradient mask to soften edges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ELLE-mom-and-son-CP-LR.jpg (96.3 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2005, 05:30 PM

Pam that is just perfect, i shall email you back now...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2005, 07:24 PM

Wonderful result, Pam.

Sure glad you're back!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2005, 09:33 PM

OK, first try

Hi everyone! I've watched this forum for a while now, and finally decided to play. I'm not real crazy about the outcome, but I had a good time doing it, and it gave me a much needed break from restoration work. I had no ideas of posting this, so I'm so sorry I don't know how I got here. I know I played with the USM and Emboss filters as well as Saturation and Contrast adjustment layers. Next time I'll keep track of what I do. You'll see more of me and I have some nice pics for evryone to play with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ELLE-mom-and-son-CP-copy.jpg (80.8 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2005, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzgiz
Hi everyone! I've watched this forum for a while now, and finally decided to play. I'm not real crazy about the outcome, but I had a good time doing it, and it gave me a much needed break from restoration work. I had no ideas of posting this, so I'm so sorry I don't know how I got here. I know I played with the USM and Emboss filters as well as Saturation and Contrast adjustment layers. Next time I'll keep track of what I do. You'll see more of me and I have some nice pics for evryone to play with.
Hey, Fizz...

Great to have you join us.

Not to worry about not being totally thrilled with the resuts. Sometimes ya do, sometimes ya don't. The important thing is to have given it a go and learned something in the process -- and of course have a little fun in the process which you mentioned.

Ya done good. Keep on playing along.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2005, 10:57 PM

Fizzgiz -- welcome to the Art threads -- I think you'll find it's relaxing to work with an image that doesn't have pieces missing or 1000 cracks in its surface. I think you'll also find it's a good way to learn even more about your photo editing software because you end up trying filters and layer adjustments that you would not usually try in retouch/restoration.

I know we're supposed to keep track of the steps we follow so that others can re-trace our steps if they want to try to reach some of the same effects, but it takes time to get in the habit -- you'll get better at it in time. It's good practice to label your layers with the steps you've taken -- that said, I often just carried away with trying things and forget to label -- and then if I get a result I like, I sometimes can't figure out how to do it again. So, get in the habit early --- you'll be glad you did!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2005, 01:05 PM

Hello.....

Here is mine...I also did a oil painting of this but as i signed my full name on it i shall just upload this one.

Black White Pencil drawing a'la carte!

Variety of Trimoon and my own technique added too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vikkicameronBW.jpg (50.8 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2005, 03:52 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
Welcome back, Teri:

I'm glad you found your way over to the photo-art form and gave this one a go. I know what you mean about staying up late and losing track!!! (LOL) I hope you'll play along on more of these.

- - - - - - -
~Danny~

Thank you Danny! A Very nice message for my 40th birthday (today). I'll certainly keep an eye on this area. Just found it, and it's a lovely place to visit!
~Teri~
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2005, 03:54 PM

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!! I really did have fun doing this and it was very relaxing. I agree with you CJ in that I did learn more by playing with adjustments and filters that I might not think to use in restoration. I'll be posting a pic for everyone to play with soon. BTW, I loved everyone's work on this one. It was a great pic to begin with, as I feel the bond between mother and son was visible. I may actually play with it again!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors