RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Legacy's Gal Pals

Old 04-16-2005, 12:31 PM

and another one....

For this one, i used several blends for the sketch effect, color dodge for one, also difference blend, i also used the impr filter, and filter- paint daubs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elles-Gal-Pals-web.jpg (99.5 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2005, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykita
Hey Elle, one more sketch from me of your lovely friend.
I did this with painter and ps7, both. Hope you like it.
This one is truly exceptional Judy. Share a little "how to" detail in terms of what Painter brushes you used.

Wow!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2005, 01:40 AM

Love your sketch Judy, terrific work on this one!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2005, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
This one is truly exceptional Judy. Share a little "how to" detail in terms of what Painter brushes you used.

Wow!
Danny, Neve! Thank you very much!
Here's "a little" detail of how i accomplished this.
First of all, I opened the original DESATURATED image in corel painter8, and made 2 duplicate copies by using the file-clone feature.
On each of the cloned images, i used a different "value" setting (effects-tonal control- adjust colors) one of them very dark to sharply bring out the texture of the blouse she was wearing, the other one much lighter to use for the face when cloning. Now i have 3 image files open, light, normal, dark. I used all 3 for my cloning as and when required.
For the sketch, i used acrylic-wet soft 20, at diff opacities (50 and 100 mostly ) and sizes (ranging from 1 upto 8). I tried using different blank layers for diff parts of the image for eg, found parts of the blouse was a bit lighter than desired so i multiplied this layer to get a darker effect. When i "sketched" as much as i was happy with, I saved as a psd file. Closed painter and opened in ps7. Now for the fun part!
Here's what i did in ps7: First layer that of painter sketch (all layers merged). Layer 2- original desaturated image - invert, softlight blend. Merge. Duplicate and multiply blend, opac 50. Merge. Some minor touch-ups with dodge/burn tool (to brighten up eyes, cheekbones, teeth etc). Another layer of image original desat- filter-find edges, add layermask, render-difference clouds on layermask, repeat difference clouds till desirable effect is achieved. Lower opacity. Merge. Thats it. Hope you will find this helpful.
Thank you once again for the appreciation.

Last edited by jaykita; 04-17-2005 at 03:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2005, 03:04 AM

......I'm really going to enjoy trying this out Judy! Your explanation is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2007, 07:20 PM

Re: Creative Portraits: Legacy's Gal Pals

Smoothed
Simplified
Diffused
Curves adjust
Added cross hatch

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trio.jpg (99.2 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2007, 03:03 PM

Gal Pic sketch.

Steve C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa friend33.jpg (97.7 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2007, 05:07 PM

Tried loads of stuff with this one.
Nothing was coming out right so went back to an old favourite, the cutout filter with a texture added.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg legacy-pal.jpg (99.5 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors