RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Printing, Frame, Framing, Canvas, Mounting, Stretching

Old 11-12-2010, 09:34 AM

Talking Re: Printing, Frame, Framing, Canvas, Mounting, St

This is just a tiny bit off topic but I hope you all will bear with me. I ordered a 20 x 30 inch print and forgot to have them mount it on 3/16th or 1/2 inch backing to hang without any cover whatsoever. Now I am trying to find a place where I can order one sheet of something that will do. Like foam-core board,etc. preferably with a self-sticking back. Not worried about archival as it is for our own home and i am already over 74 years of age.

<<<<SMILE>>>>
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 12:10 PM

Re: Printing, Frame, Framing, Canvas, Mounting, St

I was having the same problem, since I am just starting out, Painting with Painter X. I had Printed my artwork at home with an inkjet printer,on canvas paper. But then I had to mount it on something. So I went to Hobby Lobby. They had a Huge piece of foam board that was self adhesive for 9.99. I was able to cut the perfect backing with just an exacto-knife. Worked wonderfully.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 01:05 PM

Thanks for that info. How thick was it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 02:56 PM

Probably about 1/8 of an inch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 10:54 PM

and if you have a Staples near you they can do if for you, also. they use a foam board type of thing and charge about a dollar per square foot, plus a minimum, i think. but check. i may have that last wrong.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 11:28 PM

Thanks to you both, that's good to know. We have a Jerry'd ArtaRama here maybe they have it also. I'll have to pay them a visit. Oh and I have found 3/16 inch at both places mentioned.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 11:48 PM

cool beans. oh, and Staples will also enlarge your prints and then put them on that foam board.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Craig, that is very good to know. Especially since it is an alternative to Wally's Mart. And I don't belong to Costco. A few photographers that I know and galleries use Costco.

My brother-in-law says, with a smile on his kisser, that the Epithet he wants on his tombstone is, "He Shopped at Costco!"

<<<<smile>>>>
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2010, 09:49 PM

well, i never actually used Staples, but i did inquire, which is why i know they do this. i was going to buy a large format printer to do some of my stuff, but wasnt sure i wanted to pay the price, so i asked around to see who was doing this stuff in my area and Staples had a decent print shop, including the large format printer i was looking to buy. they had a number of example prints mounted there in the shop and i was fairly well impressed with what they were doing. there are other places and types you shld look at. canvas mounting is fairly popular. these area easy to find online, but i've not done any of those either so cant recommend one, myself. check out giclee and lenticular prints for something a bit different
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors