RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Pink Flower in her Hat

Old 06-25-2005, 10:06 PM

Mitch,

thank you.

i dont have thredgeholder pro, but i did pick up the free plugin and used it in one step. but, it's not quite the same as yours. i believe i get the basic idea, however and gave it a shot.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image6.jpg (96.1 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2005, 04:32 AM

You're welcome Craig.

I'm releived that someone was able to decipher my novice explanation and get it to work.

I wasn't brave enough to use black as a background - it makes for zingy colours, and as with all of them look better on larger size pictures. -Great!

Regards to all,
Mitch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2005, 11:03 AM

thanks mitch.

one question for you on thredgeholder pro... in your first image in the collection of your steps, you have a color edges sort of thing. the free plugin only allowed me to go in black and white and adjust luminance and blur, i believe. so, the question is what does the pro version have that the free version doesnt?

also, i took a slightly different avenue. i did the selection of the background and saved that out as a new image AND reversed it and saved that out as a new image. i then combined the two as separate layers in one image. that allows you to work on the background and the foreground separately and rather than use the eraser tool, i just adjusted opacities on the various layers and then saved out various combinations i liked as new images.

also, thank you for the technique. i've been playing around with it and doing variations. quite interesting

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2005, 11:31 AM

you've inspired me, mitch here's another piece. on this one i added a layer of a texture i created and did some overlays and dissolves and a burn. i also hand colored her eyes and then erased that area in the other layers to let them show through.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image10a.jpg (97.6 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2005, 11:21 AM

Hi Craig,

The colours in pic1 come from the base layer as do all the others. I did this one without a colour fill (step3 in my lame explanation ) When you rub through, the colours come through the white.

Thredgeholder pro has sliders for contrast and threshold on luminance saturation and hue. I cant remember the freebie but I don't think there's a great deal of difference. I sometimes adjust the contrast with PSPs auto contrast adjutment to give darker lines.

I liked the textures! You're certainly moving this method forward. I thought I would join in. I followed the basic method, but instead of filling with a solid colour - I filled with a pattern. First cracked paint then paper#3. I think I should have rubbed through a bit more on these but I like the pastel effect on lighter colours.

Regards to all,
Mitch.

Last edited by Mitch; 08-16-2007 at 02:44 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2005, 02:43 PM

Last one for now. (it's addictive )

All steps as above, but instead of filling with a solid colour, filled with a pattern- Watercolour paper.

Added step at the end.
Add/remove noise - Despeckle.

Regards to all,
Mitch.

Last edited by Mitch; 08-16-2007 at 02:46 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2005, 02:58 PM

i like all 3, mitch. you've got a good touch for this. i particulary like the cracked paint one. that would also make a good background effect all by itself.

i dont think the freebie of thredgeholder has all those items. there are just two sliders and that's it.

i also am a bit confused on some of your last steps. you say:
Quote:
7. Load your previosly saved selection from disc.
Now the fun bit. Click on the eraser, set fairly large circle and strength about 40- you can experiment with the settings.
but you dont say what to do with the now reloaded image. do you add it as a layer and if so, where?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2005, 04:02 PM

Smile Girl with Hat in the 20's

Hi all !
Enjoyed browsing this thread and all the great variations posted and thought there was not much I could add, except making the girl look like a 20/30's glamour star.
The hat reminded me of Lilian Gish, Pola Negri etc (I didn't quite see their movies when they appeared but they were still quite famous when I was very young - ) so I made some photo research and decided to fix her hair, eyes and lipstick to make her look like a "diva" of those years.
Hope you enjoy it. It is such a great photo and the girl is so pretty !

P.S.: I did not explain some of the steps, I made it all in PS CS2. first I removed all color with "desaturate", copy and pasted the layer as a new one. With the smudge tool remade the lips outline to make it smaller as it was the fashion at those times, "plucked" her eyebrows also with the smudge tool, added "false" eyelashes, and a heavy dose of shadow or "kool" something or other as it was called then.
Copied the hair strands on one side and pasted as a new layer, modified its volume or size with the free transform option.
My idea was to color the picture as if it had been a sepia colored one, but then got carried away and used layer blending styles with the different parts from the original jpg. The most useful was the face and neck part which I copied and pasted underneath the one I had already colored.
Well... there were many other steps I made but you will all fall asleep before I finish and as they say, a picture is worth thousand words. If there is anything special any of you wish to know please let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hat with Pink Flower CI.jpg (98.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Hat-with-Pink-Flower-CI-mar.jpg (92.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Marthig; 06-27-2005 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Add P.S.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2005, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthig
Hi all !
Enjoyed browsing this thread and all the great variations posted and thought there was not much I could add, except making the girl look like a 20/30's glamour star.
The hat reminded me of Lilian Gish, Pola Negri etc (I didn't quite see their movies when they appeared but they were still quite famous when I was very young - ) so I made some photo research and decided to fix her hair, eyes and lipstick to make her look like a "diva" of those years.
Hope you enjoy it. It is such a great photo and the girl is so pretty !

P.S.: I did not explain some of the steps, I made it all in PS CS2. first I removed all color with "desaturate", copy and pasted the layer as a new one. With the smudge tool remade the lips outline to make it smaller as it was the fashion at those times, "plucked" her eyebrows also with the smudge tool, added "false" eyelashes, and a heavy dose of shadow or "kool" something or other as it was called then.
Copied the hair strands on one side and pasted as a new layer, modified its volume or size with the free transform option.
My idea was to color the picture as if it had been a sepia colored one, but then got carried away and used layer blending styles with the different parts from the original jpg. The most useful was the face and neck part which I copied and pasted underneath the one I had already colored.
Well... there were many other steps I made but you will all fall asleep before I finish and as they say, a picture is worth thousand words. If there is anything special any of you wish to know please let me know.
Wonderful makeover. The lips and eyes are fabulous, too, as is the background.

How did you get the glove to look so natural? That's quite outstanding, too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2005, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
Wonderful makeover. The lips and eyes are fabulous, too, as is the background.

How did you get the glove to look so natural? That's quite outstanding, too.
Thank you so much Danny ! I was not sure if what I did was within the expected effects, now I feel better phew !!
I am glad you noticed the glove as that was one of the "details" I forgot to mention. The gloves, after masking the hand with the lasso tool (my favorite) I filled it with a pattern of greyish stars (I think they are standard patterns in PS) (*) and then used the stained glass filter, setting the lattice cells to a very small size. The gloves were another detail that I felt the image needed to fit the era set by the hat. Hehehe

Regards - Martha

(*) Will check if that pattern is standard and if not will post here the name of the pattern and if I can trace it the link from where I dld it.

OK: It is not standard and here's the link http://veredgf.fredfarm.com/pattern-bomb/ (if this link does not open where I dld it, go to the .../patterns/misc option) They are not for commercial use though. Enjoy

Last edited by Marthig; 06-27-2005 at 05:19 PM. Reason: forgot to add an explanation
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors