RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Pink Flower in her Hat

Old 06-28-2005, 11:49 PM

Cool About Oldies

Steve,
"chronologically challenged" means you are sort of closer to their times ? (like me I must add ) Or you like to learn about older times ?

Craig,
by PSP you mean Photoshop ? and if you are referring to me I use Photoshop CS2.
As to Greer Garson she is (was) much younger than Pola Negri and Lilian Gish these two were famous before the "talkies" at about the 20's

Regards - Martha
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 09:06 AM

Martha,
psp = paint shop pro, which is what i use and what steve is using. generally, PS is photoshop and PSP is paint shop pro.

and as for greer garson, all i know is that my folks would probably remember them all

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 10:01 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
Martha,
psp = paint shop pro, which is what i use and what steve is using. generally, PS is photoshop and PSP is paint shop pro.

and as for greer garson, all i know is that my folks would probably remember them all

Craig
Tks Craig for clearing the PSP thing, BTW I used PSP when I first started with designing and retouching some stuff for my office, it is a great program too !

Greer Garson, great actress. I saw most of her movies when they were shown at cinemas !! hehe

Rgds - Martha -
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 10:01 AM

Greer Garson, PSP et al

Craig, you young whippersnapper, now you have gone and made me feel like I should get back in my rocking chair.

Martha, in answer to your question on "chronologically challenged", the answer is "both."

And yes I do use Paint Shop Pro. Version 9.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 10:10 AM

Hi Craig,
Youre almost there. When you first save your SELECTION - you're saving just the marching ants, not the picture contained within them. Go to SELECTION - Load/Save selection - Save selection, give it a name then save.
I think it's the same on previous PSP's -- Youre right I have 8 and 9.

Martha,
Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. It's much appreciated. I have to admit to being chronolically challenged too, come to that I'm getting a bit folically challenged as well. Oh well ...

Steve,
Loved the scotch tape version - grunge rules!! GREAT.

Regards to all,
Mitch.

Last edited by Mitch; 06-29-2005 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 10:11 AM

Once again I used Trimoon's watercolor technique on this image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pinkhat.jpg (98.9 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 10:57 AM

Nice one Elleth !

It has a nice "dreamy" or enchanted atmosphere.

Will look for a link to Trimoon's technique, which have seen mentioned quite often in this thread *apologizes-for-ignorance* Of course that will not guarantee that I will get the same lovely result, but will try though

Regards - Martha -

P.S. Off topic completely, to Steve and Mitch don't worry about chronology, here at RP there is not only a great variety of techniques and talented people but also in age range. I am also a member at a FW graphic design forum where the ages range from 13 all through the "very old ones" of almost 20 !! Nothing wrong in being young mind you, but one does feel truly chronologically challenged
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthig
Will look for a link to Trimoon's technique, which have seen mentioned quite often in this thread *apologizes-for-ignorance* Of course that will not guarantee that I will get the same lovely result, but will try though
Thanks Mathing!

You can find the CD that contains Trimoon's technique here. You'll have to purchase the CD, he also has two other CD's, I have all three.
They are very good and well worth the price!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 01:37 PM

marthig,
you're welcome yes, i like psp. and it makes a pretty good entry to mid-level training program. the problem here on retouch is that most tutorials and explanations are done for the PS crowd, so i find myself swimming in misunderstandings, as most folks seem to be using PS of one version or another. add in that corel's painter is catching on, and i'm lost more than ever. then, on top of that, mitch is trying to teach me this technique of his, but he's using psp two versions later than mine, so it's an uphill battle all the time. still, i'm learning

and steve,
the last person to call me a young whippersnapper got beaten severly with my cane but i suppose it's all relative

mitch,
Ah! the light dawns. you're only saving the selection as the selection! d'oh. i suppose you could also save this to the alpha channel and just call it back that way too, no? thank you

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 03:34 PM

Hi Marthig
somewhere out on the wild web there is a tutorial video of trimoons watercolour it just takes a long time to download and probably isn't as
indepth as the cd but does give you a taste
Unfortunately i can't remember where it is but if i find it will send you the address maybe some one here will remember where it is
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors