RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: So Sexy

Old 08-07-2005, 02:08 PM

Creative Portraits: So Sexy

If you haven't seen it yet, check out this excellent retouching tutorial recently crafted by member NancyJ: http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=191

She approved using the final result of her tutorial in this challenge. (Thank you, Nancy! ) I really like how it's cropped.

Let's see your best stuff on this one!

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg So Sexy RP.jpg (98.6 KB, 297 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2005, 01:46 AM

After using Levels to generally lighten the image, I had fun playing with my favorite plugin, Impressionist. See the Layers Palette snapshot for the layer-by-layer progression. (If something isn't clear, don't hesitate to ask.)

I used the Pastel setting of the Nik Color Efex plugin on one layer to mess with the colors a bit, but this isn't a requirement. Similar results could have been achived using a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer set to colorize, applying ctrl + I (to invert the mask) and airbrushing in the effect.

Thanks again, Nancy, for the lovely base image.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg So Sexy RP djr.jpg (97.3 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg Layers Palette snapshot.jpg (60.6 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2005, 07:29 AM

hello danny

sexy indeed !
i'm slightly puzzled by how you work your layers and masks, do you run impressionist at every layer and follow up with a mask at each layer ?

i'd appreciate a step by step run thru if u have the time

thanks a lot
bert
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2005, 09:01 AM

meanwhile, here's my contribution:

moodshift with VP/glamour filter, then xero/caravaggio filter, finished with trimoon's 121 texture

cheerio
bert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg So Sexy RPbdw.jpg (68.3 KB, 144 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2005, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert de wolff
i'm slightly puzzled by how you work your layers and masks, do you run impressionist at every layer and follow up with a mask at each layer ?

i'd appreciate a step by step run thru if u have the time

thanks a lot
bert
Hey, Bert...

I guess I do this so often using my own "code" for reference I forget not everyone is used to how I label layers.

In this one just about every layer is a duplicate of the Background (layer name: BG+) to which an Impressionist setting is applied, e.g., Charcoal > Default. If I changed a setting, that's noted, e.g., Brush=88 means the setting was changed from the default 100 to 88. The layer blend mode is Normal unless specified, e.g., (Pin Light).

Come to think of it I forgot to note that for all the Impressionist rendered layers that Coverage = 100, so there are no unrendered areas.

Layer "(Soft Light) BG + Chunky strokes + Invert + USM" translates to "applying the Chalk > Chunky Strokes style, inverting the result (ctrl + I) followed by sharpening (Unsharp Mask), and then changing the blend mode to Soft Light.)

"BG - restore eye, hair detail" = no Impressionist on this one. Just a copy of the Background used to restore some detail that Impressionist has obliterated.

"Unsmudged mono (color=image)" = Conte > Unsmudged Monochrome, which normally renders in grayscale. I changed the Stroke Color setting in the Color panel from "grayscale" to "image," to pick up the colors.

Process-wise it's pretty much:
* Duplicate Background
* (If necessary) drag that layer to the top of the layer stack
* Apply filter or plugin
* Add layer mask (reveal or hide all, depending on circumstance)
* Selectively apply with airbrush setting on and brush = Chalk 36 or a soft-edged brush

Thanks for asking. 20-20 hindsight: I should have done a better job explaining to begin with. Hope this helps.

Keep asking if I still need to connect a few dots.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2005, 10:52 AM

hiya danny, thanks a lot for taking the time to explain your moves,
much appreciated and a great help !

tata
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
Hey, Bert...

I guess I do this so often using my own "code" for reference I forget not everyone is used to how I label layers.

In this one just about every layer is a duplicate of the Background (layer name: BG+) to which an Impressionist setting is applied, e.g., Charcoal > Default. If I changed a setting, that's noted, e.g., Brush=88 means the setting was changed from the default 100 to 88. The layer blend mode is Normal unless specified, e.g., (Pin Light).

Come to think of it I forgot to note that for all the Impressionist rendered layers that Coverage = 100, so there are no unrendered areas.

Layer "(Soft Light) BG + Chunky strokes + Invert + USM" translates to "applying the Chalk > Chunky Strokes style, inverting the result (ctrl + I) followed by sharpening (Unsharp Mask), and then changing the blend mode to Soft Light.)

"BG - restore eye, hair detail" = no Impressionist on this one. Just a copy of the Background used to restore some detail that Impressionist has obliterated.

"Unsmudged mono (color=image)" = Conte > Unsmudged Monochrome, which normally renders in grayscale. I changed the Stroke Color setting in the Color panel from "grayscale" to "image," to pick up the colors.

Process-wise it's pretty much:
* Duplicate Background
* (If necessary) drag that layer to the top of the layer stack
* Apply filter or plugin
* Add layer mask (reveal or hide all, depending on circumstance)
* Selectively apply with airbrush setting on and brush = Chalk 36 or a soft-edged brush

Thanks for asking. 20-20 hindsight: I should have done a better job explaining to begin with. Hope this helps.

Keep asking if I still need to connect a few dots.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2005, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert de wolff
meanwhile, here's my contribution:

moodshift with VP/glamour filter, then xero/caravaggio filter, finished with trimoon's 121 texture.
I meant to comment on your creation... I like the overall effect a lot. The Trimoon texture (available at www.Trimoon.com) adds cohesiveness to the overall look... the icing on the cake, if you will.

Virtual Photographer (http://www.optikvervelabs.com/) is an amazing plugin and you sure can't beat the price! (Free)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2005, 12:07 PM

So sexy manip

Great pic! Hard to come up an enhancement. Not sure I did.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg So Sexy RP.jpg (78.3 KB, 111 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2005, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway
Great pic! Hard to come up an enhancement. Not sure I did.
I agree about the "Great pic!" assessment, which begs the question, "Why would one ever want to manipulate such a nice image?" -- something I hear often from my wife. My standard reply: "Because I can and it's fun."

Yours is definitely a creative approach, Steve, and we like creativity around here!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2005, 10:57 AM

Re. sexy

You're right it's great fun. And I guess the better the image the harder it is to come up with something worthwhile.

The "why do you climb mountains?" question also comes to mind.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
I agree about the "Great pic!" assessment, which begs the question, "Why would one ever want to manipulate such a nice image?" -- something I hear often from my wife. My standard reply: "Because I can and it's fun."

Yours is definitely a creative approach, Steve, and we like creativity around here!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors