RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Baret

Old 09-26-2005, 11:37 AM

Always nice to read your comments, especially when they are so positive!

Yes, have Painter versions 4, 5.5, 6. Web, classic, 3D, 7 & 8.... gave Painter IX/9 a try ... As far as I'm concerned Painter 6 is "hand's down," the best for Watercolor.

Why,..Believe it's the way Painter 6 handles its "WET Paint." layer. You can use it with many other brushes besides just the watercolor ones. Actually, I like the way most brushes react & paint in Painter 6... none of those crashes or Poofff's, that happen in other versions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WatercolorPainter-6.jpg (52.9 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2005, 04:18 PM

cassidy,

whatever you did, i'd certainly try to figure it out again. that's quite a stunning effect! well done!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2005, 04:24 AM

Many thanks Craig and others who like what I inadvertently did to the pic, much appreciated.

Went back over my layers etc to try and find a clue as to what I did and found that one layer was both inverted and the opacity was set to 40%, looks like there was no gaussian blur at all.

Anyway, armed with this information, I started mucking about with the idea that the lower opacity layer inverted must have been fairly major.

Accordingly, looks like I duplicated the base layer, duplicated the layer again and inverted it, set the blending mode to hardlight and dropped the opacity to around 40%. Then the rest was colour and a bit of sharpening.

Unreal, I'd have never thought of that. Nup there has to be another step in between because I am not getting the same softness.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2005, 05:46 AM

Obviously the hard light was a discarded try, think maybe I have nutted it out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot005.jpg (72.6 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2005, 04:13 PM

interesting. what's the 'copy merged' layer? what did you merge and then copy?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2005, 06:40 PM

In CS2 you have the option of taking a snapshot or copy of the layers, you select all and then select copy merged and then paste into a new layer which gives you a new pic with all the changes but on a new layer. Phil referred to this as a Stamped copy in another area here last night. The merged copy consisted of all the active or visible layers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2005, 09:24 PM

ah, ok. hadnt thought to do that in psp, but yes, it also has the 'copy merged' feature. just hadnt thought to ever paste as a new layer. thank you!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Patron

Vector conversion.

Used Potrace to convert the bitmap to vector saved as a SVG. Converted the file to PNG format in Inkscape. The vector file is even smaller then the bitmap; if you have Adobe's SVG Viewer, you can move around, zoom in and out after clicking this link.

Had to add this edit; PNG files are not fully supported by IE (image shows up as black in the thumbnail and has a greenish quality in full view, but in actuallity, it is black and transparent. Forgot that Inkscape saves the bitmap as a transparent PNG file. Sort of cool if you have GIMP, but my version of Photoshop doesn't see the transparency.
Attached Images
File Type: png Barent BW rp.png (69.7 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by lkroll; 12-16-2005 at 08:55 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2006, 11:42 PM

i guess it was this may 06 contest that got me looking at some of the other black and whites. so, had a go with this again. this is simplicity itself, psp's art media 'black pencil' done with about an 93 detail and 40 opacity. easy when you've got a great model.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barent BW rp-2-k-1.jpg (95.9 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2006, 09:23 AM

I liked the idea of doing it in Painter rather than PS. Started in PS with Paint Daubs on Normal, then ported to Painter and built a few acrylic layers. Only thing I did again in PS was add a custom kernel filter for lighting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barent-clrmsc.jpg (93.4 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors