RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Autumn Girl

Old 12-08-2005, 07:47 AM

Hi,
Agree with all its a lovely photo to play with, like all that you have done,being new to actually publicly showing what i try to do...here goes...havent yet reached perfection...but its fun trying...

The first one i just simply ran Davids watercolor action in p shop.

The second i made an action myself this morning ...its a first...so did that,then ran isobels pastel sketch action then just played with curves.

Looking forward to seeing more....

Regards Patricia Kay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg autumn-girl copy+action davids watercolors.jpg (38.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Isabels Pastel Sketch+my action+curves.jpg (41.5 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by patriciakay; 12-08-2005 at 07:51 AM. Reason: missed out some info!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 08:16 AM

Surprising colors from Duv & Patricia. Pat, if you like your action, maybe you'll post it for us to try as well. Beautiful, Cathy. I am sooooo waiting for Studio Artist to come out for PCs.

Thanks, Teri. I've played with mosaics a little, but an unexpected thing happened this time that I didn't notice till I had posted it. There's a diagonal line running from about the center to the lower right corner. I don't have a clue what caused that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 08:31 AM

cathy, cathy!!!! Do you have a handle on Studio Artist???? Just got it and am OVERWHELMED. I belong to the forum below; the linked thread being SA. ANY GUIDANCE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

Love your version and the canvas texture.

Thanks

http://www.innographx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3402
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 08:42 AM

Hi Cat,
Of course you can have the action...as i said its a first and it was done on a flower not a person...just one thing...how do i send ..do i zip it...another first for me....and i thought i was just going to learn arty things Ha Ha
Regards Pat.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 09:47 AM

Such a gorgeous image! Thanks, Cat!

This is just a simple USM with a notepaper sketch filter (using the eyedropper to choose colors from the image rather than the default black/white) added, then masked out (mostly) from the face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Autumn-notepaper-cj.jpg (57.2 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 12-08-2005 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added eyedropper info
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 09:58 AM

Cj, simple steps to an outstanding painting.
Pat, look above and see where Alan put his presets in a zip file and posted them here for us to download. Email or PM me if you have problems.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terivon
...My husband ..., took a peek and said if she was the poster child for Canada, he's moving. Teri

This Autumn lady definitely has appeal, and the image allows a lot of different ideas to be used beautifully -- from NancyJ and Alan's watercolors, Amy's impressionist oil, Pam's smudging, Cazubi's painting to Twin's textures, Duv and PatriciaKay's colors, Cat's mosaic, Steve's "bit of everything" and Teri's "all but the kitchen sink"! I love it when everyone loves an image and play like crazy thinking of how they want to show it off.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 10:15 AM

P.S.
Pat if you're not comfortable with posting your file yet, not to worry. Just a suggestion, and there will be plenty of time for posting presets later on when you've grown more familiar with the forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 11:16 AM

Kiska, I love Studio Artist, but I don't know much yet...I just blunder my way through it right now. I did follow a couple of tutorials and it helped a little. I think you just have to keep playing with it...I like the cloning tools in the 3.0 collection, as well as the Wacom section (found in the default drop down). Just keep going in and play with the many kinds of paint styles and you will eventually find a technique that works for you.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 11:28 AM

Here's a link to a few more versions I did with this photo:

http://www.pbase.com/catbounds/black_and_white
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors