RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Wedding Diva

Old 12-27-2005, 11:29 PM

Beautiful bride paintings, everyone! This is a fun photo to play with. I tweaked her a little in PS, then went to Painter.

My canvas texture doesn't look very good at low res, so here's a link to a higher res version:
http://www.pbase.com/image/54059229
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diva-Bride-rtp.jpg (92.4 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 12:35 AM

lovely picture. lovely renditions.

added one also.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diva-1-k-1.jpg (95.9 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 08:06 AM

That's a winner Craig!

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
lovely picture. lovely renditions.

added one also.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll
I've included the preset (zipped it up so that I could upload) with this submission as well. Have fun.
Appreciate you packaging/sharing your custom style.

(From your other thread) I know what you mean about "Man, I will never master Impressionist." But it is sure fun to keep learning more about it!

Need a favor: It needs to be repackaged...

Why? It's nearly impossible to find your preset(s) among all the ones that are already installed.

Recommendation on how to do it (see attached image):
* Specify a unique Category name = easier to find your presets
* Specify a leading character such as #. This causes custom categories to be listed at the top of the flyout menu = even easier for others to find.
* Use the same Category and File (.set) name = easy to keep track of what's where among your .set files.

If you'd make these changes and upload the new .zip (add it to this thread, if you would, please),

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-art-resources/8328-impressionist-plugin-custom-styles-member-posted.html

then I'll be able to try out try out your handiwork. I'll add links from this and the Bara thread to the fixed .zip, too, OK?

TIA...

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LK save Imp example2.jpg (9.7 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 09:02 AM

thanks steve

the funny thing is, this one started out as 'ok, i'm going to try something here. i'm going to do ONE thing and ONE thing ONLY to this image and submit that.' lol. 50 steps later....

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 12:49 PM

Heck, that's the way I always end up doing this stuff. And why I bore most of you folks to death by posting more than one image. "Hey! This would look good done as...etc,etc." 8-)

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
thanks steve

the funny thing is, this one started out as 'ok, i'm going to try something here. i'm going to do ONE thing and ONE thing ONLY to this image and submit that.' lol. 50 steps later....

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Heck, that's the way I always end up doing this stuff. And why I bore most of you folks to death by posting more than one image. "Hey! This would look good done as...etc,etc." 8-)
that sounds WAY too familiar

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 06:27 PM
Patron

Thanks Danny.

I repackaged it to be a little more user friendly. Note that I used an image for Orientation (has to be either .BMP or .TIF or .TARGA format according the my system; just save the original image in one of these formats). To get to this control, you need to click on the "More Controls" option.

By the way, there are ways to make for varying sized tiles; did not save this here, but play with those normally hidden options under "More Controls". Pretty cool.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mozaic.zip (415 Bytes, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 10:58 PM

This is a little different. Used the art history brush on a layer above the original, with a fairly large brush and then smaller on the diva. Used a layer mask to bring back some of the detail to the diva, but let the dress merge into the background.
~Nancy~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP-diva.jpg (91.9 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2005, 09:43 AM

Chalk sketch..

My attempt at this great photo. Used Painter to do chalk sketch(clone mode). Then added edges on a new layer in Painter. Back to Photoshop and used Skylight filter.
To compare work methods, I also tried the chalk filter in Impressionist plugin and was really surprised at it's quality, especially given the time difference of making every stroke in Painter as opposed to watching the status gaze in Impressionist. Oh well - live and learn.
MargaretM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP-diva2done.jpg (87.1 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors