RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Another Pensive Redhead

Old 02-11-2007, 06:58 AM

Re: Creative Portraits: Another Pensive Redhead

I was asked for details on how the sketch was made.

The steps were as follows (one thing I do not remember is some sharpening I did along the way)
1. Made a B&W sketch by desaturate /duplicate/inverse/color dodge/G Blur routine, merged into one layer (A)
2. Made a B&W sketch by desaturate /duplicate/inverse/ color dodge/minimum routine, merged into one layer (B)
3. Set layer B to multiply, used layer mask to cover dark areas
4. Combined A and B into a separate layer C
5. On an empty layer smudged hair (using the first brush from Natural 1 set, then I used a few other brushes (don’t remember which) to additionally smuggle the hair, some lines on the face and dress)
6. Combined lower layers on a separate layer, run a impressionist blurry pencil sketch (don’t remember the settings), 30% opacity
7. Combined lower layers, used “hide all” layer mask, painted white on the mask using a brush I’ve made some time ago, basically many small dots.
8. Duplicated the layer and sharpened it, set at 70% opacity
9. used a paper texture, set to multiply

In addition there were some color correction (white layer) and a few tone correction layers there I basically painted a different color over some places.

Pavel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image2.jpg (34.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Image3.jpg (37.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by pavel123; 02-11-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel123
Photoshop: IMP, watercolor, smudging.

P.S. Steve, Love what you've done.

Appreciate your taking the time to send the nice comment.

Thanks much.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2007, 02:42 PM

Another look at this pensive lady.

Steve C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa woman pensive SA2.jpg (87.3 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2007, 03:10 PM

Hard to resist working with this beautiful gal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pensive.jpg (85.7 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2007, 09:27 PM

Lon, I really like the different feel I get when I look at your cropped image -- your processing also changed her expression somewhat (to my eye) and she looks more "modern" and more self assured. Really like it. It certainly is a beautiful image and a beautiful woman!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2007, 10:21 PM

i dont know if it's that you're all getting better, or if the subject matter is just inspiring, or if it's just the subject matter itself, or what, but i do know that there isnt one in here i felt even indifferent about, let alone not like. and some REALLY stand out above not just the ones in this thread, but over other threads as well.

i would also caution everyone to expand the images completely or you'll be deceived on the actual look of some of these.

but really, this is probably the best collection of work in one thread i've seen on RP. there arent any here i wouldnt be proud to hang on my wall! these are very professional. so, well done, all!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2007, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
i dont know if it's that you're all getting better, or if the subject matter is just inspiring, or if it's just the subject matter itself, or what, but i do know that there isnt one in here i felt even indifferent about, let alone not like. and some REALLY stand out above not just the ones in this thread, but over other threads as well.

i would also caution everyone to expand the images completely or you'll be deceived on the actual look of some of these.

but really, this is probably the best collection of work in one thread i've seen on RP. there arent any here i wouldnt be proud to hang on my wall! these are very professional. so, well done, all!

Thanks for all that Craig. Besides my own stuff I think you are totally correct. But could you EXPAND on what exactly you mean by "expand the images" I'm sure you don't mean just increase the canvas size??? possibly add more different styes??

Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin

Totaly agree with you Craig this is a superb thread with lots of inspiration

Peter, Craig might mean to click on the thumbnails to expand the images so that you get a bigger size for viewing ( but there again i could be wrong )

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1
Totaly agree with you Craig this is a superb thread with lots of inspiration

Peter, Craig might mean to click on the thumbnails to expand the images so that you get a bigger size for viewing ( but there again i could be wrong )

Palms
You know I think your right when they open in a new window the whole picture is in view, so you need to click on it to see the pic at full resolution.

Well cleared up Palms

Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2007, 03:59 PM

yup, click on the thumbnail to get the new picture, but then move your mouse over the image and you'll get that little square with the arrows inside to expand the compressed image further.

if you dont do this on some of the pictures, you'll get textures that look more like odd patterns rather than the textures they really are.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors