RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Red Headed Beauty

Old 02-05-2009, 02:29 PM

Re: Creative Portraits: Red Headed Beauty

My input. Just layer and filter play.
Redhead_Orig3.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Patron

Metallic paper cutout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redhead_Orig1.jpg (164.5 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 05:16 PM

I have lurked here for a long time, coming back to Photoshop and portraiture after an absence too. I need to get rid of the notice telling me I have never posted, so I resurrected this thread and had a go at a smudge.

I go at this a bit differently from what I can understand from other posts. I capture the entire image as a pattern, then use the pattern tool to bring in the image a bit at a time, smudging as I go. This allows me to reuse the pattern tool to rework an area as needed. I tend to go from a big sloppy smudge to bringing in the details only where I need them. This method also keeps me focused, whereas if I work on an entirely visibile image I tend to jump around trying one area and then another.

Here is my result. Comments welcome.

Barb T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headshot2.jpg (80.2 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraT View Post
I have lurked here for a long time, coming back to Photoshop and portraiture after an absence too. I need to get rid of the notice telling me I have never posted, so I resurrected this thread and had a go at a smudge.

I go at this a bit differently from what I can understand from other posts. I capture the entire image as a pattern, then use the pattern tool to bring in the image a bit at a time, smudging as I go. This allows me to reuse the pattern tool to rework an area as needed. I tend to go from a big sloppy smudge to bringing in the details only where I need them. This method also keeps me focused, whereas if I work on an entirely visibile image I tend to jump around trying one area and then another.

Barb T.

Hi and welcome Barb that is a interesting and different approach, with a good outcome

i tend to do my "AHB" blind (meaning i dont look at the photo i cover it with a solid colour and see what appears )

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 PM

Decided to have another go at this one as I need the practice on hair.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redhead--03.jpg (97.7 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraT View Post

Barb T.
hi Barb:

Glad you gave into the "nag" message. This is indeed a fine effort. Appreciate the detail on your unique approach, too.

Look forward to seeing more of your creations in the future.

BTW: looks like you did fine on the attachment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2009, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the kind comments. Palms, I work on a nearly blank canvas, I have a top layer of the photo so transparent I can just barely see it, just for placement, and I turn it off when the image has progressed to the point where I no longer need it.

Barb
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Patron

Sorry; couldn't help myself. I will now reveal a secret that I kept from you. Ever since I first discovered (a few years ago) Jigsaw Image Mosaics (these guys were inspired by Arcimboldo's work by the way), I've been obsessed with mimicking Guiseppe Arcimboldo's look. Now that I finally found a way, I can't seem to stop doing these. Please, again, I ask for forgiveness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redhead_Orig1.jpg (183.9 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 12:44 PM

I had a bit of fun with this one.

RedheadMoonWeb.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 01:35 PM

Of course you are forgiven Lyle ( not that you have anything to be forgiven for )

Moonchild that is quite subtle, so much so i nearly missed it

Palms
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors