RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

My Son cc please

Old 01-06-2008, 10:21 PM

Re: My Son cc please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellog View Post
Stephen,
Care to elaborate?
Kelly
Something along these lines, I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (100.0 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellog View Post
I was told to remove the texture from the face. I'll try again with it. Maybe a little less.
Kelly
Upon further review let me clarify. I didn't mean same level of texture everywhere...

The difference between the bold BG texture and absolutely zero texture on his skin to me results in a visual distraction. The brain is trying to reconcile the difference.

On the other hand an equal amount of texture throughout would be overkill, so "a little texture" on his face/arms would be a good compromise.

If the intent is to eventually print the final product on canvas, you might want to leave out the digital texturing. Sometimes a digital canvas effect printed on "real canvas" looks pretty weird.

re: It still looks a little too photographic to me.

It does to me, too. That's not necessarily bad if that's the look you're going for... and for many a real subtle approach is the objective.

That said if the person viewing your art can't tell you were going for a "painting look," then what's the point of all the work you put in?

A few things I've noticed that some of the "pros" (who do this type of thing and get paid well for it) do to further the painting illusion is:
* Add some white space (extend the canvas) on each side and "rough up" the edges. Solid, perfectly straight edges scream, "Photo!"
* Boost color saturation
* Vary the hue of skin tones a bit to simulate "blobs of paint" vs. perfectly smooth skin tone transitions that photos produce
* Over sharpen in places to bring out color variations, exaggerate textures and add highlights

I offer this example for illustration purposes. (It's almost 4:30 a.m., so it's kind of a hack.) To me it doesn't look much like a photo.

But in the big scheme if you or daddy or grandma or whomever the ultimate recipient will be likes it as is, STOP! With such a great photo, ya can't possibly lose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP Kellys son 2 PO djr.jpg (99.8 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz View Post
Question - I see that your link is called a "static link" from Flickr, and that you've done another one like this -- the image is HUGE on my browser (9inches x 8 or 9 inches) - I've never seen anything like it on this forum (except for your other post) and it is GREAT to see such an excellent image at such an enlarged size! It says it's a "link", but you don't have to click on it to see it -- it's just sitting there like an uploaded image except it's SO much bigger, and the quality is excellent.

So, Kelly, Danny, or whoever understands how this works -- is there some way that the rest of the members can get their images to show this large?
CJ... That's done by engaging the 'Insert image' dialog (the control 2-to-the-right-of the Remove Link icon (chain link with red "x").

Since this amounts to a link to an offsite gallery, it's suceptable to breaking in the future, unlike uploaded files that are broken-link-proof.

Hence, I do not promote its use.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen A View Post
Something along these lines, I guess.
Stephen,
What did you do? Bump contrast and saturation?
Kelly
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2008, 04:00 PM

Danny,
It's so hard going from a photographers mindset to a painters. I'm starting a new one that hopefully will be a little more painterly. Will post for your cc as always.
Thanks for your 4am rework and wonderful advice!
Kelly
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors