RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Bride-to-be...what can you do?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 01-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Peter S's Avatar
Peter S Peter S is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,142
Re: Bride-to-be...what can you do?

And another, a little lighter and more attention paid to the detail in the posh frock.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg happy-bride-rp.jpg (99.6 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #22  
Old 01-17-2008, 06:17 PM
cindy fuller cindy fuller is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4
Re: Bride-to-be...what can you do?

Here's my go at it. She's a lovely bride. I love her dress! Thanks for the great practice! I may have gone a little far with it. I tend to lose the world and get lost in the painting.

Cindy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0442-copy.jpg (99.1 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #23  
Old 01-17-2008, 06:32 PM
carseasoncity carseasoncity is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 33
Re: Bride-to-be...what can you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy fuller View Post
Here's my go at it. She's a lovely bride. I love her dress! Thanks for the great practice! I may have gone a little far with it. I tend to lose the world and get lost in the painting.

Cindy
AWESOME!!! Great work! Any tips on how you achieved it? Thanks!
Brandi
Reply With Quote top
  #24  
Old 01-17-2008, 08:41 PM
lilysharon lilysharon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 45
Re: Bride-to-be...what can you do?

I really like the last one posted.
I went the other direction and lightened it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bride.jpg (58.6 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #25  
Old 01-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Steve Conway's Avatar
Steve Conway Steve Conway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,272
Re: Bride-to-be...what can you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseasoncity View Post
Because she was being forced to marry against her will by her evil parents who were only concerned with the wealth that the arrogant groom possessed...oh...wait...wrong bride. Just kiddin'.

As I mentioned in the original post this was a candid shot. She wasn't aware of me at this point as she was deep in conversation with her maid of honor, and probably trying to calm her nerves as this was right before the wedding.

Nice work.
Brandi
Yeah, I thought so. She's thinking, "Do I really want to marry this bum?"

Kidding also...it's a nice study of a bride that you seldom see. Most wedding pics are all smiles, sweetness, and light. This is a prize. And I'll bet she likes it best as the years go by.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
  #26  
Old 01-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Ziaphra's Avatar
Ziaphra Ziaphra is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 439
Re: Bride-to-be...what can you do?

Some lovely renditions here...one from me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bride.jpg (96.3 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #27  
Old 01-18-2008, 02:36 PM
cindy fuller cindy fuller is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4
Re: Bride-to-be...what can you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseasoncity View Post
AWESOME!!! Great work! Any tips on how you achieved it? Thanks!
Brandi

Thanks, Brandi!

In Photoshop:
I started out duplicating the image (never work on the original). I like to work on bigger photos, so I resized by upping the resolution. I usually set the resolution to 300 pixels/inch, because most of the time the photos posted online are at 72 pixels/inch. Yours was posted at 350, so I just doubled it to 700. I'm sure that's not the proper way to resize, but it works for me, and it's easy.

I knew I wanted to have some of the texture on the dress, so I selected a bit of the dress and saved it as a brush to use later.I duped the background layer. Then I went into levels and brightened the photo a bit. Used a layer mask to bring out the brighter colors where I wanted them by painting on the mask with black. Did the same for the for the darks. Flattened the photo. Added a 1-2 inch border of white by resizing the canvas.

Added a layer, painted with the backgound color on the photo, behind the bride to cover the tree, so when I flattened the image the tree was gone. Again, I know this probably wasn't the proper way to do it, but it worked and it was easy. And I knew I was going to smudge it anyway.

In Painter:
I added a layer, "pick up underlying color" selected on that layer. I started sampling different colors from the bride and painting "squiggly" lines all over the background. Used the grainy water blender brush at different opacity and sizes to smudge out the "squigglies" and the white border that I had added in Photoshop.

I used a small chalk brush to add color to the flowers and the veil. And still using the grainy water blender, I smudged them slightly. Did the same for the skin and the dress. When it was the way I wanted it, I saved it and brought it back into Photoshop.

In Photoshop, I added a new layer, picked a color that was darker than the dress, and got that brush I had saved earlier and brushed on some of that dress texture. I believe I set the layer to multipy at a low number.Sorry I can't remember exactly because I played with the layer settings until I got it the way I liked it.

I also decided I didn't like the colors of the painting, They were too muted for me, so I used Color Balance to bring out some brighter colors. I posted the muted painting below. After I changed the color balance, I did smudge here and there because I couldn't stop myself!

When I finished painting, I resized back down to 350ppi and saved.

I hope I helped you some! And sorry if I rambled on too much!

Cindy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0442-muted.jpg (97.5 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #28  
Old 01-18-2008, 03:14 PM
carseasoncity carseasoncity is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 33
Re: Bride-to-be...what can you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy fuller View Post
Thanks, Brandi!

In Photoshop:
I started out duplicating the image (never work on the original). I like to work on bigger photos, so I resized by upping the resolution. I usually set the resolution to 300 pixels/inch, because most of the time the photos posted online are at 72 pixels/inch. Yours was posted at 350, so I just doubled it to 700. I'm sure that's not the proper way to resize, but it works for me, and it's easy.

I knew I wanted to have some of the texture on the dress, so I selected a bit of the dress and saved it as a brush to use later.I duped the background layer. Then I went into levels and brightened the photo a bit. Used a layer mask to bring out the brighter colors where I wanted them by painting on the mask with black. Did the same for the for the darks. Flattened the photo. Added a 1-2 inch border of white by resizing the canvas.

Added a layer, painted with the backgound color on the photo, behind the bride to cover the tree, so when I flattened the image the tree was gone. Again, I know this probably wasn't the proper way to do it, but it worked and it was easy. And I knew I was going to smudge it anyway.

In Painter:
I added a layer, "pick up underlying color" selected on that layer. I started sampling different colors from the bride and painting "squiggly" lines all over the background. Used the grainy water blender brush at different opacity and sizes to smudge out the "squigglies" and the white border that I had added in Photoshop.

I used a small chalk brush to add color to the flowers and the veil. And still using the grainy water blender, I smudged them slightly. Did the same for the skin and the dress. When it was the way I wanted it, I saved it and brought it back into Photoshop.

In Photoshop, I added a new layer, picked a color that was darker than the dress, and got that brush I had saved earlier and brushed on some of that dress texture. I believe I set the layer to multipy at a low number.Sorry I can't remember exactly because I played with the layer settings until I got it the way I liked it.

I also decided I didn't like the colors of the painting, They were too muted for me, so I used Color Balance to bring out some brighter colors. I posted the muted painting below. After I changed the color balance, I did smudge here and there because I couldn't stop myself!

When I finished painting, I resized back down to 350ppi and saved.

I hope I helped you some! And sorry if I rambled on too much!

Cindy
Great! I'll try to do this myself when I'm finished editing the rest of the pictures. Thanks for the info.
Brandi
Reply With Quote top
  #29  
Old 01-18-2008, 10:09 PM
byRo's Avatar
byRo byRo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Goianésia, Brazil
Posts: 1,609
Re: Bride-to-be...what can you do?

Many thanks to Brandi, for such a great image.

A big Welcome to RetouchPRO to Cindy.
What a way to start!! Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

I got sortta detoured and did an almost straight retouch.
The other is AHB, very sharpened and hard-light blended onto a coloured background.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bride-Retouch-byRo.jpg (99.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Bride-Arte-byRo.jpg (196.4 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #30  
Old 01-19-2008, 07:11 AM
palms's Avatar
palms palms is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England
Posts: 5,685
Blog Entries: 30
Re: Bride-to-be...what can you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo View Post


I got sortta detoured and did an almost straight retouch.

how did you do the skin please? was it your de grunge technique? I really like how it turned out almost a painting in itself

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faire Bride Roguewolf Photo-Based Art 2 12-12-2007 09:05 PM
Skin problems on Indian bride The_Traveler Photo Retouching 7 08-23-2007 11:04 AM
Creative Portraits: Bride with Flowers in her Hair DannyRaphael Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors 57 01-03-2007 04:53 AM
Wedding Bride "enhancement" Eric Polsinelli Image Help 14 12-04-2002 01:48 PM
extracted bride sjm Image Help 15 11-28-2001 08:57 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved