RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Bride-to-be...what can you do?

Old 01-17-2008, 05:27 PM

Re: Bride-to-be...what can you do?

And another, a little lighter and more attention paid to the detail in the posh frock.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg happy-bride-rp.jpg (99.6 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2008, 06:17 PM

Here's my go at it. She's a lovely bride. I love her dress! Thanks for the great practice! I may have gone a little far with it. I tend to lose the world and get lost in the painting.

Cindy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0442-copy.jpg (99.1 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy fuller View Post
Here's my go at it. She's a lovely bride. I love her dress! Thanks for the great practice! I may have gone a little far with it. I tend to lose the world and get lost in the painting.

Cindy
AWESOME!!! Great work! Any tips on how you achieved it? Thanks!
Brandi
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2008, 08:41 PM

I really like the last one posted.
I went the other direction and lightened it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bride.jpg (58.6 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseasoncity View Post
Because she was being forced to marry against her will by her evil parents who were only concerned with the wealth that the arrogant groom possessed...oh...wait...wrong bride. Just kiddin'.

As I mentioned in the original post this was a candid shot. She wasn't aware of me at this point as she was deep in conversation with her maid of honor, and probably trying to calm her nerves as this was right before the wedding.

Nice work.
Brandi
Yeah, I thought so. She's thinking, "Do I really want to marry this bum?"

Kidding also...it's a nice study of a bride that you seldom see. Most wedding pics are all smiles, sweetness, and light. This is a prize. And I'll bet she likes it best as the years go by.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2008, 01:10 PM

Some lovely renditions here...one from me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bride.jpg (96.3 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseasoncity View Post
AWESOME!!! Great work! Any tips on how you achieved it? Thanks!
Brandi

Thanks, Brandi!

In Photoshop:
I started out duplicating the image (never work on the original). I like to work on bigger photos, so I resized by upping the resolution. I usually set the resolution to 300 pixels/inch, because most of the time the photos posted online are at 72 pixels/inch. Yours was posted at 350, so I just doubled it to 700. I'm sure that's not the proper way to resize, but it works for me, and it's easy.

I knew I wanted to have some of the texture on the dress, so I selected a bit of the dress and saved it as a brush to use later.I duped the background layer. Then I went into levels and brightened the photo a bit. Used a layer mask to bring out the brighter colors where I wanted them by painting on the mask with black. Did the same for the for the darks. Flattened the photo. Added a 1-2 inch border of white by resizing the canvas.

Added a layer, painted with the backgound color on the photo, behind the bride to cover the tree, so when I flattened the image the tree was gone. Again, I know this probably wasn't the proper way to do it, but it worked and it was easy. And I knew I was going to smudge it anyway.

In Painter:
I added a layer, "pick up underlying color" selected on that layer. I started sampling different colors from the bride and painting "squiggly" lines all over the background. Used the grainy water blender brush at different opacity and sizes to smudge out the "squigglies" and the white border that I had added in Photoshop.

I used a small chalk brush to add color to the flowers and the veil. And still using the grainy water blender, I smudged them slightly. Did the same for the skin and the dress. When it was the way I wanted it, I saved it and brought it back into Photoshop.

In Photoshop, I added a new layer, picked a color that was darker than the dress, and got that brush I had saved earlier and brushed on some of that dress texture. I believe I set the layer to multipy at a low number.Sorry I can't remember exactly because I played with the layer settings until I got it the way I liked it.

I also decided I didn't like the colors of the painting, They were too muted for me, so I used Color Balance to bring out some brighter colors. I posted the muted painting below. After I changed the color balance, I did smudge here and there because I couldn't stop myself!

When I finished painting, I resized back down to 350ppi and saved.

I hope I helped you some! And sorry if I rambled on too much!

Cindy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0442-muted.jpg (97.5 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy fuller View Post
Thanks, Brandi!

In Photoshop:
I started out duplicating the image (never work on the original). I like to work on bigger photos, so I resized by upping the resolution. I usually set the resolution to 300 pixels/inch, because most of the time the photos posted online are at 72 pixels/inch. Yours was posted at 350, so I just doubled it to 700. I'm sure that's not the proper way to resize, but it works for me, and it's easy.

I knew I wanted to have some of the texture on the dress, so I selected a bit of the dress and saved it as a brush to use later.I duped the background layer. Then I went into levels and brightened the photo a bit. Used a layer mask to bring out the brighter colors where I wanted them by painting on the mask with black. Did the same for the for the darks. Flattened the photo. Added a 1-2 inch border of white by resizing the canvas.

Added a layer, painted with the backgound color on the photo, behind the bride to cover the tree, so when I flattened the image the tree was gone. Again, I know this probably wasn't the proper way to do it, but it worked and it was easy. And I knew I was going to smudge it anyway.

In Painter:
I added a layer, "pick up underlying color" selected on that layer. I started sampling different colors from the bride and painting "squiggly" lines all over the background. Used the grainy water blender brush at different opacity and sizes to smudge out the "squigglies" and the white border that I had added in Photoshop.

I used a small chalk brush to add color to the flowers and the veil. And still using the grainy water blender, I smudged them slightly. Did the same for the skin and the dress. When it was the way I wanted it, I saved it and brought it back into Photoshop.

In Photoshop, I added a new layer, picked a color that was darker than the dress, and got that brush I had saved earlier and brushed on some of that dress texture. I believe I set the layer to multipy at a low number.Sorry I can't remember exactly because I played with the layer settings until I got it the way I liked it.

I also decided I didn't like the colors of the painting, They were too muted for me, so I used Color Balance to bring out some brighter colors. I posted the muted painting below. After I changed the color balance, I did smudge here and there because I couldn't stop myself!

When I finished painting, I resized back down to 350ppi and saved.

I hope I helped you some! And sorry if I rambled on too much!

Cindy
Great! I'll try to do this myself when I'm finished editing the rest of the pictures. Thanks for the info.
Brandi
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2008, 10:09 PM

Many thanks to Brandi, for such a great image.

A big Welcome to RetouchPRO to Cindy.
What a way to start!! Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

I got sortta detoured and did an almost straight retouch.
The other is AHB, very sharpened and hard-light blended onto a coloured background.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bride-Retouch-byRo.jpg (99.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Bride-Arte-byRo.jpg (196.4 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo View Post

I got sortta detoured and did an almost straight retouch.

how did you do the skin please? was it your de grunge technique? I really like how it turned out almost a painting in itself

Palms
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors