RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Hard copy printing- Resolution question

Old 10-04-2008, 09:59 PM

Hard copy printing- Resolution question

Hi,

I'm new to photo-based art but have been using photoshop for various things since about version 5.5.

I'd like to do an artistic portrait, to give as a Christmas present to each of my 3 grown children, using a scanned photograph from a childhood snapshot. The big challenge here is that I want to print it out onto good quality watercolour paper in A4 or A3 size and then add additional detail using pastel, or aquarelle pencil and a wet brush.

Any suggestions or helpful tips on resolution or sizing within Photoshop?

If I post a hyperlink to the original scans of the photos I'd like to use, can you please give me a nudge (or helpful shove) in the right direction as to what's possible? I have access to a variety of printers ( I have a computer shop) so if you have a had great success with a particular printer for artistic photo media I'd love the heads up.

Cheers,
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2008, 10:15 PM

Re: Hard copy printing- Resolution question

Hi Artiste,
I have not printed to simulate watercolors. But, I have spoken to those that have. What I recall is that the resolutions are much lower than you might expect, especially if you do not regularly print your own photographs, etc. Typically, 200 dpi is fine, 300 dpi is on the high end. Also, much depends on the actual inks, paper and their interaction. I'm sure there are many here that have done this and will elaborate for you.

Regarding printers, the others should also be able to provide more useful information as well. However, here is a link to a good discussion on the readily available Epson's that are not too expensive or difficult to use, and may be normal stock in your computer shop. Thread on Epson R2880. Just search here (using advanced search) on RP for other threads on printers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2008, 10:35 PM

i've printed on different media, but never true watercolor paper, but i would assume it's rather porous and able to soak up a lot of ink and possibly diffuse said inks out more than standard papers. i'm also going to assume that your paper is white or nearly so. if not, please tell me. so, i would think the trick is going to be control. your inks are going to want to run, i would think. this can be good or bad, depending on the effect you're after.

however, what i'd be doing is simply testing. take an image and start printing and see what you get. then adjust, if need be. like i say, i've done some printing on non-standard media and there's just no guessing that can replace observation.

as for the drawing on the image after you've printed, i have no particular judgement. myself, to me, that seems needless, given the capabilities of photoshop and other software, but, that's me and i cant draw worth a damn so, again, about all i can say is, give it a shot. find out. then you'll be the expert and can come show us your results

and like tommy said, on home ink jet printers, anything over about 300 ppi is pretty much wasted from what i've seen. the current technology just doesnt get much finer in ink resolutions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2008, 01:57 AM

Thanks Craig and Tommyo,

I've sliced up a large piece of Cold press cotton 190 GSM and am off to our "shop" to play while it's quiet there (ie: closed). I can download plug-ins and brushes and play with the display printers to my heart's content so I think a bit of experimenting is in order.

I've heard good things about the large format epson (A3) and its not too outrageously priced however, I'm holding great hopes for the HP 5400DN because of the print quality and the inks used.

I'll let you know how I go.
Cheers,
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2008, 11:02 PM

sounds like fun, beth. and yes, do let us know
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2008, 07:23 AM

You might try Hanemuhle papers they have fine art paper for digital printing.
Depending on the printer,ink or pigment,you should use the opposite artist materials,
for ink use oilbase materials and for pigment use waterbase materials
also Krylon has spraycan fixatives for when your finished
Hope this helps
Zganie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors