RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Oil Painting from Photo

Old 11-23-2008, 09:01 AM

Re: Oil Painting from Photo

Here's another example using the same settings as the image above. I applied some sharpening to give the strokes more distinction.

This is our cat, Patience, whose nickname is "Boo." (It's a long story). Original image: 12 MP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP ArtWorks demo - cat.jpg (199.6 KB, 101 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2008, 04:48 PM

those are looking good, danny. i like the dog a bit more of the two.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2008, 04:30 AM

Here's a close-up of my 12 (going on 25) year old daughter. This was achievied by applying the same custom preset ("Ali 5" - see attackment) two times on the same layer. The multiple applications increase the 'arty' look.

Note the detail preservation in the eyes and hat texture. Some people would prefer a little less photorealism under similar circumstances.

Anyway, in my opinion this example is a considerably more realistic "oil painting" look than Snap Art or Virtual Painter's oil painting effects. And even if one was very skilled using Corel Painter, there is absolutely no way to achieve results like these in less than the two minutes it took me using ArtWork.

The second attachment is the output of Artwork to which Unsharp Mask was applied (90,70,0).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP ArtWorks demo - Ali closeup.jpg (179.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg RP ArtWorks demo - Ali closeup sharpened.jpg (198.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg setting ali 5.jpg (27.1 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2008, 10:32 AM

Here is a try using a landscape. The settings are only a slight variation from what Danny used above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Destin-Sunrise.jpg (37.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Destin-Sunrise-ArtWork.jpg (53.0 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2008, 10:39 AM

great between this program and the 100 others plus bidding for jobs coming in from india at 2$ an image. maybe i could just stay home and watch my kids starve from lack of work. thanks a million. lets just let technology put talent in the hands of the banal and trite.

... and the worst part is i know i can paint an image in ps or painter way better than this... but in a world of good enough not many can even notice.

i guess my glass is half empty today.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2008, 05:24 PM

That's good to know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2008, 06:21 PM

Nicely done, Skipatk... Thanks for sharing your handiwork.

G4H: Sorry you're having a half empty day. I hope things turn around for you soon.

- - - - - -

Another example to chew on.

I recordrd a Photoshop action that applies different custom presets to duplicate copies if the Bacjground. I then used layer masks to reveal the best of each layer (see second attachnent).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP ArtWorks demo - orange flower.jpg (127.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg RP ArtWorks demo - orange flower layer palette.jpg (120.5 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2008, 06:26 PM

Thumbs up Re: Oil Painting from Photo

Alien Skin sells great plug-ins including SnapArt that create very impressive artwork in Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2008, 06:26 AM

Great pictures, Danny! I love especially the dog. And others!

----
Kat
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
"great between this program and the 100 others plus bidding for jobs coming in from india at 2$ an image. maybe i could just stay home and watch my kids starve from lack of work. thanks a million. lets just let technology put talent in the hands of the banal and trite.

... and the worst part is i know i can paint an image in ps or painter way better than this... but in a world of good enough not many can even notice.

i guess my glass is half empty today."
How that any different from anything else - I use to do photo retouching, then came the programs that did it with a mouse stroke. OK, they're crap compared to hours spent on the computer (or even the older way, with inks/paints/dyes), but the average punter don't care.

You could even moan that 12Mpix cameras going cheapish have made the Pro Photographer obsolete (I used to be a wedding photog too, 'til every-man-and-his-dog came along and decided to to the same thing, again lesser quality and poorer composition, but the average punter don't care).

In a nutshell:

The average person doesn't want to pay what something is worth (or even costs in time to make) when for a few $ they can do it themselves and THEY don't notice a difference.

The people who would notice a difference aren't interested in quality or ability, all they want is a 'name' (meaning, a celeb, a recognized name - "Oh, look, you've got a Jimmy Banks picture.. wow..")

Welcome to the future, lets hope humans don't survive for long..

Last edited by Fluffbutt; 11-28-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors