RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Oil Painting from Photo

Old 11-18-2008, 12:55 PM

Oil Painting from Photo

Today we release the new program AKVIS ArtWork.

It converts your photos into realistic oil paintings. Whether an oil portrait or a landscape painting - the program will make your ideas a reality!

Even with the default settings you can achieve a realistic result coming very close to hand painted works.

http://akvis.com/en/artwork/
http://akvis.com/en/artwork-tutorial/howwork/oil.php

Welcome!!!

---------

Kat
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2008, 01:40 PM

Re: Oil Painting from Photo

Please forward your payment for your advertisement in this forum
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2008, 09:25 PM

I know that a lot of members of RetouchPro love our Sketch, and I thought you will be interested in the news about an oil painting program.

If you're interested, you could try and share your ideas. The newborn needs your testing.

-----
Kat
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2008, 11:06 PM

thanks, akvis
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2008, 02:54 AM

This plugin looks promising... I'll post a review of it soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2008, 05:22 AM

Sketch I like because it provides a number of variations. So far I find "oil" limited and pricey for what it provides. I'd rather put the money toward corel painter...then one would get autopainting and multiple brushes. My two cents. Why not combine sketch and oil and add $20 to the cost of the package?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2008, 07:33 AM

Skydog,

Yes, ArtWork makes oil, and how!
And this is version 1.0. We are going to add Watercolor to the program. And may be anything else...

Sketch is exactly sketch, its name shows its features. All its effects are around a sketch technique.
ArtWork works with painting styles, they differ.

Our special offer is almost what you want - three programs in a pack with a discount (Artistic bundle: Sketch and ArtWork and ArtSuite).

Danny,

We are looking forward to your review! You have wide experience, and it will be useful for us to know your opinion.

And this relates to all members - please send us your thoughts how to improve the program
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2008, 07:39 AM

Have you read the review of Sketch in PhotoshopUser magazine? By Dave Huss?

It is like about ArtWork. Both programs make their job, their own effect.

" This is the fifth such product I reviewed in the past few years. All of these "instant artist" programs use impressive-looking samples for which the company made a grand effort to find the best photos to showcase the effects, but when I applied them to different photos the results were usually far less impressive.

My first observation was that Sketch 7 offered only pencil and watercolor (all the others offered at least 8-10 effects). I installed it as a plugin and then applied the filter to a portrait using the default settings. Wow! It really looked like a pencil sketch. I opened another portrait and it too was made to look like a real pencil sketch. I spent most of the evening converting more than 60 photos with subjects as diverse as a fashion model to a pudgy gondolier in Venice, and all the results were impressive. Sketch may do only a few effects but they're kick-butt effects. It also includes masking tools that allow you to isolate the application of artist effects to part of the photo... "

read the review

----

Have a good week end!

Kat
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2008, 02:01 PM

I am in agreement with you Skydog.

I tried out this software and found it limited indeed. Only does a type of oil painting and it's a bit awkward to figure out how to set it up for a basic painting. Also I tried it on several images not over 800 pixels in size and the program took forever to process.

Can't recommend this one yet, altho I have three other Akvis products which are well done and easy to use.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2008, 09:43 PM

Like any plugin, on some images it works well, on others not so good. I liked how this one turned out...

For settings I used see the screen grab attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP ArtWorks demo - dog.jpg (166.7 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg RP ArtWorks demo - dog settings.jpg (25.0 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors