RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Query re half tone on on top of cel shading

Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 AM

Re: Query re half tone on on top of cel shading

Danny,

I use Filter>Sketch>Halftone Pattern at 3-11 for the above sample. This also worked well at a setting of 2-7, but for compression and posting to the web I liked the "grosser" look.

It's not absolutely necessary to do the 200% enlargement, but I find that I have more control doing it. The sliders in the halftone pattern have preset "stops" and are not "free flowing". I can use bigger dots in an enlarged version and of course they get reduced when sized back down. The resolution of the original file will also make a difference in the courseness/fineness of the dot patter. Experiment with this concept and decide for yourself. Also, the color burn layer is not really necessary, but it does provide more shading definition.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2009, 01:41 PM

Re: Query re half tone on on top of cel shading

Separate the black lines from the color. Correct the colors to be richer and more of a flatter tint, (less shading)

Use regular old color halftone filter on the color layer.

Set the black line layer to multiply.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors