RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

My Girl Smudge Painting-What Do You Think?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:28 PM

Smile My Girl Smudge Painting-What Do You Think?

I am finally back after a while. I am not sure if this is in the right place or if it should be in Critiques. I posted my first smudge attempt a while back and received several valuable critiques which I took to heart and came back and practiced, practiced, and practiced. I finally got it. Now I understand all about the different strokes, layers, etc. While it was sorta frustrating wading through all of it and the numerous tutorials that are mostly for photoshop ( I use Paint Shop Pro X2), I feel fantastic for having stuck with it, because I finally produced a painting I am happy with. I am sure it will not be as good as the many professionals gracing this board, but I believe I am on the right track. I always have room for improvement, so please tell me how I can improve on my work. By the way, this painting was done using the mouse on my laptop. I do not own a pen tablet. I have done just a little research on them and they can be somewhat pricey for me. I guess I wanted to see if I could accomplish this type of artwork before investing in one. All of this is my own handiwork....no filters, plugins, etc. Just bunches of layers and combining different things. I tried to use some canvas textures, but they were okay, so I didn't send that one. Hope the pictures were uploaded correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mygirloriginal.jpg (97.1 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg mygirlpainting.jpg (86.5 KB, 186 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2009, 03:21 AM

Re: My Girl Smudge Painting-What Do You Think?

Graham sorry i meant to post a reply yesterday but got waylaid ( again)

Glad you did stick at it, your work looks very nice, smudging is a lot harder in psp ( i did try it once and immediately gave up )

a pen tablet does make a difference,especially on long hair you tend to get a waver with a mouse,(my first smudges was with a mouse) one way i found helped was to rotate the image so i smudged horizontally for the hair .

When you have finished zoom in real big and look for bits that you have missed ( there always is some) like around your mouth area

Palms

Last edited by palms; 06-27-2009 at 03:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2009, 05:29 PM

Well your definitely getting there, very good for just using a mouse.
Maybe try increasing the saturation a little to make it pop a bit more.
I've attached my effort with a canvas texture added along with adjusting the lighting effect. (I've probably overdone every thing of course)

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g5-gal.jpg (99.4 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2009, 07:33 PM

Thanks alot guys. I feel more confident in myself now. Great job Peter on your take. She's beautiful. I redid the picture and increased the saturation a little. It made a big difference and now she looks so warm. By the way, this is a picture of my beautiful daughter who loves to pose for the camera. Here is the new redo I did along with a canvas texture. I am getting there!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mygirlpainting3.jpg (97.2 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2009, 04:37 AM

Wow - she's very pretty.

Here's a quick blur-smudge thingy from FotoSketcher:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mygirlFotoSk.jpg (86.4 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2009, 09:44 PM

I don't have any plugins installed on my new computer, so this is straight PSP.

Done with salt and pepper filter and then a couple passes with a high pass sharpen,

Amy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prettygirl.jpg (98.6 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors