RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

need help on face of sketch

Old 07-11-2009, 08:35 AM

need help on face of sketch

HI I did a sketch of my nephew but his complexion does not look right He had a mid day beard and he was standing in the sun I put the picture on a canvas textured layer, hoping it would look like a piece of paper. I am trying to follow all the information I get from these boards and also tutorials from utube. any suggestions I hope to improve this photo I would love. thanks for all help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jasonsketchsmall.jpg (42.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg smallpictureofjason.jpg (98.1 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Re: need help on face of sketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosierosierosie View Post
HI I did a sketch of my nephew but his complexion does not look right He had a mid day beard ...
De saturate the original, place above layer, set the blend mode to overlay,
mask all except the beard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jasonsketchsmall_chill.jpg (137.2 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Patron

I guess I read it different.. I thought she wanted the beard gone..

I think I would start out by making a High Key copy and lightening the beard, darkening creases and things you want to keep

A simple way to do a 'High Key' effect that might work for your pic is explained here
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2009, 04:08 PM

Well this is what I've done with your pic.

Maybe you could start with a shadow/highlight adjustment first, to get some more contrast in there, try and be a bit more bold with the brush strokes, don't be afraid of losing some detail,sometimes less is more.
Try a dodge and burn layer to enhance areas of the pic, (blank layer on top set to overlay and paint with white to lighten and black to darken set your brush opacity low to build up the effect.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deb-sketch.jpg (97.4 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2009, 05:31 PM

Peter I followed this tutorial on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbMrhwKTpIY by Mama Shane (photoshop mama so are you saying that I should do everything first to the picture and then do a sketch on it, or make into a sketch then adjust it. I trying to learn photoshop by reading all I can so please be patience with me. thanks for all you time and help
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Peter I followed this tutorial on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbMrhwKTpIY by Mama Shane (photoshop mama so are you saying that I should do everything first to the picture and then do a sketch on it, or make into a sketch then adjust it. I trying to learn photoshop by reading all I can so please be patience with me. thanks for all you time and help

If you did the same way as me, yes play with the picture first then do the sketching, you need to find the way that works for you.
The thing about this tutorial is that it's okay, but can look just like a picture turned to grayscale, and not really a sketch.
It can still look good don't get me wrong, it's just not the way I do it now.
As a start point I think your not doing badly, take another look at what you've done and it can be changed to look more like a sketch.
The methods I use involve using brushes not just on the masks but on the picture itself, though on a dupe layer of course.

Hope this helps

Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Patron

Quote:
I followed the tutorial using PS7, while watching the video on half of my screen... putting it on pause.. working on the picture on the other half.. then going back and continuing the video... pause, work a bit then do it again till finished... but I did start with a high Key, cleaned copy and wound up with this result..

I agree with Peter... not quite a pencil sketch ... but... I think it would serve as a great starting point for a sketch like Peter does

With ANY art work always clean the original as much as possible before starting... remember the saying... crap in = crap out... so get rid of all the things you do not want in your final product first

Take your time and keep practicing... You are doing great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tutorial.jpg (190.3 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2009, 07:35 AM

Thank you for your help, I will do the photo over again and follow what you say, thanks again for your time and patience you given me alot of confidence. thanks again
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors