RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

brad's brush action

Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 AM

brad's brush action

since I am still waiting to partition my Imac, so I can use my plugins for windows I need this action. Please if anyone has it I thank you in advance.
I have cs 5 now and it is not my friend. I don't have a way to get my old textures into the textures folder to have them work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2011, 10:03 AM

Re: brad's brush action

re: Brad's brush action
I had no luck surfing the web with Google and Bing. Is that the precise name?

Are you converting from PC to Mac?

re: so I can use my plugins for windows
To my knowledge Windows plugins, the ones you choose from the Filter menu, won't work on a Mac, unless you are emulating or directly running Windows on a Mac.

If you meant actions (from the actions palette), they should work OK on either platform. No need to put .atn (action set) files in a "Windows files only" iMac partition.

re: I don't have a way to get my old textures into the textures folder to have them work.
Do you mean your PC is broken? Please explain further what you mean if the Windows and iMac boxes are working OK.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2011, 07:06 PM

I looked up Brad's brush myself and couldn't find it -that's the name I put on my layer when I did a painting years ago. I am on a imac now with ps cs5 and I have all the textures from before but none of them will go into the texture file to show up. the only things I see are the ones that come with the program.
thank you
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2011, 01:57 PM

To my knowledge the "default" textures (Sandstone, Canvas, etc.) are built-in to Photoshop. They don't seem to exist as individual files.

Even if you place "your" texture files in \Presets\Textures, it does not appear that they will show up in the Texturizer filter's dropdown menu. To find/use them one must click the "Load Textures" button in the Texturizer dialog and navigate to the folder where they reside.

It's not required they be in \Presets\Textures. I put mine in a folder named \MyTextures, and created a shortcut (Mac: alias) for this folder and put it on the Desktop. This method makes it easy to open \MyTextures via the Load Texture... dialog.

Seems dumb, but as far as I know this is how it works.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2011, 02:18 PM

Are they all jpg's or psd's? It has been my experience that jpg's will not work. Mine are all in the Preset folder under Textures.

Just a hunch.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2011, 02:40 PM

Good point. Must be in .psd format, not .jpg. Ass-u-me-d textures worked on PC before Mac came along, thus already in .psd format. Still good to check just to be sure.

Under PS CS3 under Windows it appears texture.psd files can go in any folder... not required they live in \presets\textures nor does there appear to be an advantage for being in this folder, i.e., filenames not listed in dropdown menu.

Maybe this limitation was addressed in CS4 or CS5.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2011, 05:17 PM

I think that still holds true in CS5. I just checked out importing a texture from another app and it worked okay on my iMac.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2011, 10:58 PM

thanks guys I will try it and let you know. I still need Brad's brush action. It is a watercolor look if this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2011, 12:29 AM

Is this what you want?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2011, 08:04 AM

thank you no -not brushes but an action that looks like like watercolor.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors