RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

A couple of my paintings

Old 10-03-2013, 08:16 AM

A couple of my paintings

I've just recently gotten into photo paintings using corel painter and photoshop. So far I've gotten much better results with corel but it's buggyness (crashing while saving, etc) is annoying so I'm trying to use photoshop's natural brush engine to simulate the painter brushes look. So far it's a little more difficult to achieve the look in photoshop but at least the program isn't crashing and I'm not losing work! I think as I get better with the mixing brush I will achieve results closer to painter too.

Anyway, first image in corel, 2nd in photoshop. Both are works in progress...

Incidentally, with the 100k limit per attachment you lose much of the brush detail. Anyway to insert higher rez pix in postings?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shee.jpg (43.1 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg shelley.jpg (69.7 KB, 104 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2013, 04:34 PM

Re: A couple of my paintings

Nice. Try visiting some of Faye Sirkis' tutorials on painting. She does an excellent job with painting portraits. You are definitely headed in the right direction.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2013, 04:47 PM

Re: A couple of my paintings

i have seen some of her tutorials and work. It's nice stuff but is more or less an enhancement upon the more traditional smudge painting techniques. Maybe it's just in the low resolution images she has on the web but the portraits don't seem to have much in the way of brush strokes. Sort of like Scott Deardorff's work. I'm not saying that in any negative way. It's just another approach.

I really like Karen Sperling's work a lot. Her stuff seems to be more from the standpoint of a standard painter in terms of feel, brush strokes, color harmony, etc.

There are so many great artists out there!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors