RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Niki

Old 06-08-2004, 12:10 AM

Hey, stranger... Nice you see you. I see you haven't lost one ounce of your touch.

Hope you'll be able to play for awhile. Your creativity has been missed -- and is always a joy to see.

Welcome back.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2004, 09:44 PM

One of my standard methods. Use a combination of too much noise reduction and too much sharpening. Too much noise reduction simplifies, taking away the photographic look. Too much sharpening makes steep ramps in the local contrast. Then take several results, pick out which ones seem to contribute something, and mask the best parts together. Then touch up with smudge tool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ab_Niki-orig.jpg (41.6 KB, 317 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2004, 09:50 PM

Wow. That's a very, VERY nice effect, Andrew. What method(s) are you using for the noise reduction?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2004, 10:38 PM

Very nice renditions everyone! I tried to keep mine simple.
Cropped to place the eyes as close to 1/3 as possible.
Ran 3 levels of Stylize: Diffuse: Anisotropic
Unmask Sharp: 200/32
Xero: Mood Light
Image: Adjustments:Selective Color: Red: increase Magenta slightly
Stylize: Diffuse: Anisotropic
Texturizer: Sandstone: 52% 3
(After most effects, erased back the eyes to keep them clear.)

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Niki-orig.jpg (88.8 KB, 276 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2004, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
Wow. That's a very, VERY nice effect, Andrew. What method(s) are you using for the noise reduction?
I use Smart Blur, but not the one in Photoshop. I use Photo-Paint's smart blur because it is much smarter. The rest are plugins set way too high. Sometimes I run them twice. They include Alien Skin Image Doctor Jpeg Repair, Focal Blade Selective Blur Pro, and Digital Gem. And if you see the pattern here, these are all edge protecting blur tools. And this gives the simplified surfaces.

But you also need strong edges. So I oversharpen along the simplified edges. And there is only one sharpener that can handle this technique, and that's Focal Blade. It is the only one with enough power and enough control to pull this off.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2004, 11:15 PM

The variety in the submissions on this one is amazing.

1. Ran through VP air brush
2. Made a couple of duplicates of the BP layer and ran different lucis art settings on them--blended together and merged
3. Ran through Nik midnight and blended with original
4. added some adjustment layers, a little dodge and burn, and a pattern fill layer in soft light with reduced opacity for a hint of texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nikivplucwb.jpg (22.3 KB, 91 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2004, 03:35 PM

Layers of effects

Using multiple layers each with different effects and degrees of transparency gives you many levels of control. In portrait work I use "posterizing" and "conte crayon" to effect an enhanced image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Niki-1st_cut.jpg (54.2 KB, 127 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2004, 11:16 PM

Duplicated background twice.

Bottom layer converted to black and white.
Secondlayer - changed hue to give a more magenta tone, ran xero line art in drawing mode -65 and line 2. Changed layer mode to overlay.

New layer on the top - Painted white over the background area - gaussian blur to soften the edges.

Christine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Niki-orig Copy.jpg (89.8 KB, 135 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2004, 04:29 AM

Hey, Bill:

Sure glad you found us and posted a creation. I like what you've done here. Hope to see more of you in the future.

- - - - - -

Christine:

That's a very unique approach (the BW on the bottom and building on that). Do appreciate the detail on how you did it.

- - - - - -

Amy:

Meant to ask... Do you have the PM ArtGalery standalone program or the plugin? I thought the results of your slicing and dicing on this one was outstanding. I really like this effect.

- - - - - -

Inspired by Amy's creation, I set out in one direction, took a sharp left turn and ended up with something completely different than I originally intended.

BTW: I sure didn't realize when I uploaded the base image that it was so doggone small. Sorry about that.

Basic layer stack (top to bottom) after resizing image to 10" high, 100 ppi:
* Curves Adjustment layer - tweak contrast
* Channel Mixer Adjustment layer - monochrome
* Clone over a few blotches
* Merge visible
* Duplicate of Merge visible + Emboss (Overlay) - Add depth
* Merge visible
* Duplicate of background + Impressionist: Natural - Gauze Underlay, selectively merged in with a layer mask
* Duplicate of Merge visible + Unsharp Mask (oversharpened)
* Merge visible
* Duplicate of background + Find Edges (Multiply)
* Duplicate of background + Fluff's custom Gouache style from his Impasto collection (click HERE to get Fluff's brushes.)

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Niki-djr.jpg (57.1 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 06-12-2004 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Insert link to Fluff's post
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2004, 05:27 AM

Thanks Danny, it is really interesting to see all the different techniques being used. Neve ceases to amaze me how many incredible variations on one picture can be done.

Christine
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors