RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Niki

Old 05-14-2004, 02:21 PM

Creative Portraits: Niki

We'll use this thread to launch the new forum.

Objective: Turn this into a painting, sketch or watercolor.

~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 05-18-2004 at 08:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2004, 03:19 PM

Here's the base image...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Niki-orig.jpg (48.5 KB, 578 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 05-18-2004 at 08:50 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2004, 09:14 PM

I thought I could come up with something for this beautiful model....

1. I used Flaming Pear "Glare" and faded a bit.
2. I followed up with a "Gothic Glow" and faded that layer a bit.

This may be one of those things that appear really cool on my monitor but don't really work. Lemme know!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NikiA.jpg (87.8 KB, 313 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2004, 09:09 AM

Wayne:

Sorry I'm a little slow to reply: I'm on 'jury duty.'

You're in the right place and you've got the right idea. Including the client's name on the print is a unique touch that I believe would be an attractive (and easy to apply) option.

- - - - - - -

Jeff:

Without feedback from a "real client," it's hard to get a feel for what works and what doesn't just by viewing a manipulated image on the monitor.

My approach is to strive for a look/result that's different enough/appealing enough that a potential client would consider purchasing it in addition to (or in lieu of) an original shot. I've actually printed up some variations (as samples) for client review. (If they buy one or two, fine; if not, I've keep them for future marketing samples.)

Since not many folks offer this type of thing at this time as far as I can tell, it's going to take time to get a feel for what works and what doesn't. Since I'm just beginning to do this myself I'm finding that my hunches on what I think "look good" and might sell are often very different than what appeals to a given client.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2004, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
Since I'm just beginning to do this myself I'm finding that my hunches on what I think "look good" and might sell are often very different than what appeals to a given client.
Jumping ahead here, but when you've been doing it a while longer I'd be very interested in your considered opinions on what does and doesn't appeal to clients versus what you thought would appeal going in to the venture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2004, 04:13 PM

I tried a pencil sketch on this one.

Two images (I always find it easier to make individual images of each effect, rather than layers. Just personal taste.)

One buzzed, sent to PMArtGallery for hand drawing, buzzed again, greyscaled, darkend contrast.

The other, buzzed, impressionist pencil sketch crosshatch softened smudges with 100% brush. Then made the lips and nose darker.

Merged together and redid the background on the left to cover up nasty jpeg artifacts.

AmyHutton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NIKI.jpg (91.5 KB, 261 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2004, 06:35 PM

That could be a tough one Danny. One thing that comes to mind is the old little league templates but that is pretty standard.

I printed a 4x6 of the one I posted and it looked pretty cool, even if it was just printed on a HP Photosmart 1000.

I'm thinking that with portrait manipulation you are looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack but one way to present them without losing your margins would be to print up a "contact sheet" of 3x5's with the different versions, or maybe have some test portraits in a portfolio for customers to view. You could speed things up a bit by creating a "flavor of the month" action folder for the manipulations. This could turn into a real nice marketing angle for you to say the least!

Best 'o Luck man!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2004, 11:06 AM

My try

Just new and experimenting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg niki_std.jpg (45.6 KB, 319 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2004, 11:18 AM

Well, I'd say you can experiment all you like. Wonderful interpretation. I especially like the unique edge treatment.

Welcome and I hope we'll see more of your inspiring work in the future.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2004, 11:41 PM

My try...

It's been a long time since my last post. Hopefully I haven't lost my touch. Here is my try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Niki-painting.jpg (75.7 KB, 335 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors