RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Kids, Jeannie

Old 01-27-2005, 07:25 AM
Patron

Jeannie

Well I copied the background layer after selecting Jeannie. I then applied an action that I posted earlier today called "Isabels_Pastel_Sketch.atn to Jeannie. This creates a nice sketch effect. I then worked some on the background and softened the edges some.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2005, 11:34 PM

Whilst I'd decided to have another go at this lovely wee lass today, I return here to find amazing posts. Wonderful efforts Phil and Legacy
Jaykita, if I had a hand, no matter how small, in encouraging your result, then I'm chuffed! What an amazing result and I hope you keep up this wonderful work because it's definitely a style all your owns.

After about 3 hours I finally did her again. Wanted another go at her hair especially and this was much more to my satisfaction this time around.

Painter 8.1.

Oils/Round Camel Hair/Hair- Cloned
Oils/Smeary Bristle Spray/Hair again - Cloned
Oils/Fine Feathering/Picked a pale colour from
Color Set made from original image and drew
Wispy hairs all around at 1.5 pixels.
Blenders/Soft Blender Stump/Hair

Cloners/Wet Oil Cloner 10
Selected color from set and filled in
Entire face area. (I find it easier to have a
Colour layer to work on rather than white)
Blenders/Soft Blender Stump/Face

Cloners/Wet Oil Cloner 10 – Face
Repeated over face 2/3 times including
Hairline.
Cloners/Soft Cloner/Eyes, Mouth, Blue Top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2nd Jeanie Neve.jpg (92.1 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2005, 12:15 AM

Look who's leading the Painter class now

Neve, your latest effort is stunning. It looks very much painted, not cloned. I'm very impressed (and maybe a bit jealous).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2005, 01:54 AM

Thank you, you're being very generous. You know something, as far as I'm concerned if I can do it so can you. Perhaps where I benefit is that I am under no pressure at all "time-wise" and have the time to devote to doing this patiently no matter how long it takes me. Glad you liked it...this time, so did I....
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2005, 05:06 AM
Patron

Neve, marvelous. It really does look like a painting instead of a photograph. Very nice coloration, background, and effect. Thanks for posting it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2005, 05:35 AM

I join Mark...

Neve i think you need to do us a tutorial on how you did that step by step i would love to be able to achieve that, it looks like a victorian girl you know the ones you find on old candy tins...

Well done Neve!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2005, 10:24 AM

You've outdone yourself, Neve, and raised the bar for all of us.

Very, very nice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2005, 04:51 PM

Many thanks for viewing and commenting Phil, Legacy and Danny. I can't thank you enough for your kind comments which are very encouraging indeed.

Phil - Danny pointed us in the direction of a free filter recently (thanks Danny), PR Brightness, and I knew immediately, for my own needs, that this was a great filter to have for doing postwork on photos prior to painting. I've used this filter on both posts here that I've done of Jeanie. The filter not only strengthens colours, but successfully lightens shadows. Although after using this filter the photo seems slightly over-exposed as it were, it does not affect what you do in Painter at all, but provides, what seems to me good colours to work with whether you are cloning, or decide to make a colour set of your image in Painter and then paint more from scratch.

Legacy - yes, I thought just the same after I did the first one of Jeanie, that it looked Victorian, much like watercolour illustrations I've seen in the People's Friend Magazine! Oh gosh, write a tutorial. I take my hat off to those who can and would be nowhere without their tenacity in doing so, but I'm afraid I don't possess that skill. One thing I will say is, that in Painter you need to be able to use your own creative instincts to a large degree, be prepared to experiment and don't rush. Stay alert to using as many layers as you need as you work - I am still making errors in this regard by becoming too engrossed at times and finding that I am working on the wrong layer or should have created a new one.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2005, 01:12 AM

Extracted the background. Ran Neat Image. Imported to Painter 8. Applied background and ran Surface Control: Apply Lighting. Back to P.S. Impressionist: djrOil24/25/95/104

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Jeannie-by-Jaques.jpg (96.5 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2005, 05:23 AM

Duv, that is fantastic......love the result..
thanks
vijayan
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors