RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Hunk in a Stripe Shirt

Old 06-01-2004, 03:05 PM

Creative Portraits: Hunk in a Stripe Shirt

Try this one out. I'm looking for a good looking guy in his 50s, but haven't found a good pic yet.

AmyHutton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg purplestripes.jpg (79.8 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2004, 04:55 PM

On this one...
* Zapped the background
* Cropped
* Converted to Grayscale
* Duplicated grayscale layer and applied Photoshop Dry Brush a couple times (for arty look, but with important detail retained)
* Then started experimenting with various Impressionist styles applied to copies of the grayscale layer and blending them with layer masks. Among them, Chalk: Detailed opaque strokes, Chalk: Chunky strokes, Pencil Sketch: Detailed Mono
* Moved Dry Brush layer to top of layer stack and blended in detail with layer mask
* Merged all layers onto a separate layer (Alt + Ctrl + Shift + E) and duplicated this layer
* Applied Virtual Painter Oils and selectively applied that effect with a layer mask

Fun pic to work with Amy. Thanks for sharing it.

~Danny~

p.s. Look forward to the 50s hunk pic when you find one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amys-Hunk-djr.jpg (48.1 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2004, 11:11 AM

Done with masks. Lastly, vp and impressionist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg purplestripes-web.jpg (98.5 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2004, 03:01 PM

I decided to open up the shadows to show more of his eyes.
M.F. Mystic Glow, run twice
Feivels: gothic glow
Perry's Luce: Highlight right side of face
Virtual Photographer: Increase Contrast
Impressionist: Tinfoil: Opaque Background: Image Brush: 25%

Cheers

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-purplestripes.jpg (98.8 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2004, 07:08 PM

good looking young man

This good looking young man was perfect to try a new technique I've been working on. The results weren't as good as some I've done this on; but tis time I quit for the night. Technique explained in the screen shot.

Have fun all. Happy painting.

Janet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg purplestripes-copy.jpg (94.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenshotBOY.jpg (48.6 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2004, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty
This good looking young man was perfect to try a new technique I've been working on. The results weren't as good as some I've done this on; but tis time I quit for the night. Technique explained in the screen shot.

Have fun all. Happy painting.

Janet
I like the overall concept - A LOT. The only thing I would consider changing is the Background setting in the Impressionist style you're applying. Instead of black, give either white or "image" a go. All those black flecks attract attention away from our handsome dude.

Also: Say a few words about the pencil sketch layer. How are you creating that?

Well done. Thx much for the layers palette screenshot roadmap. That helped a lot.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2004, 12:22 AM

Tried a new technique (well new to me anyway) added curves layer and with the pencil drew a squiggly curve across the grid. Merged the layers and applied impressionist paint.

Christine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg purplestripes-web.jpg (98.8 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2004, 07:19 AM

Thnx Danny

Thanks for your comments Danny. They are much appreciated and well taken into consideration.

I don't have the specific steps to create a pencil sketch off the top of my head; but this is what I did. The pencil sketch layer was created very first and moved to its present location, turned off so it didn't affect future work, and only turned back on when it came time to blend the layers. There are numerous tutorials for creating a pencil sketch. Shan Canfield (a Retouch Pro member) has a good one. I like the action done by Jaime Romo and submitted to the Studio Exchange at Adobe.com (probably because I'm lazy). An action is easy to create if you might use the pencil sketch often, as I do.

P.S. A note about the background... The black flecks might detract some, tis true. I wanted yellow to go with this pic. It just seemed to call for it. However, the yellow became too much and looked phony or staged. All of the impressionist styles I tried added something I wasn't happy with until I tried the present one with the black flecks. They don't add any color to take the eye away from the bright coloring of the subject. If one looks closely (I know tis hard on such a small file), they will notice the yellow is not static. Before I applied the impressionist, I added a radial gradient in yellow and white and a Filter>Render>Cloud layer in yellow and white (reduced in opacity, blended together, and overlaid on a yellow background). Then to mix it all up, I applied the impressionist.

I know, I know. This is a very long explanation of a very simple technique. Thanks for reading through it.

Last edited by Janet Petty; 09-28-2004 at 07:44 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2004, 02:12 PM

I'm trying to get my arms around Trimoon's method based on the Art History Brush. If I ever "get it," I'll share what I've learned, but so far it's very hit and (mostly) miss...

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guy in stripped shirt - Trimoon AHB djr.jpg (78.9 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2004, 07:20 PM

Great efforts by everyone as always

Duped bottom layer.
Neat Image/Noise
Smudged out all the artefacts still left on his face and around
the shirt neckline. Smudged his hair. Buzzed to smooth further.
PSP Art Media Effects - Brush Strokes 1
Blend Mode/Luminance (L) 60%
Merged both layers.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stripes.jpg (88.6 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors