RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Review: Photos to Paintings - Painter 8.1 Tutorials, Marilyn Sholin

Old 06-22-2004, 08:08 PM

Review: Photos to Paintings - Painter 8.1 Tutorials, Marilyn Sholin

To read the review, open the attachment.

If you have questions about it or comments, please add to this thread.

~Danny~
Attached Files
File Type: doc Marilyn Sholin Painter Tutorials review.doc (43.5 KB, 745 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2004, 08:18 PM

Last week I decided to take the plunge and get Painter 8 (comes without help files etc). Thank you for the link Danny, viewing Marilyn's work is inspirational without a doubt. I'm sure her CD would be very worthwhile but alas other priorities dictate currently. I've already marked a lot of other great sites for their excellent tutorials.

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 04:37 PM

Having had the pleasure of sitting in on one of Marilyn's "live classes" last week, I decided to dust off her tutorial and take another shot at using her methods.**

I was experimenting, but if I could do it again I'd do the background differently.

Photoshop 7.01
Painter 8.1
Mouse (no tablet, yet)

**Note: I almost NEVER follow a given tutorial exactly as written; but I did use many of Marilyn's techniques in this one.

Marilyn emphasizes NOT making facial features "too arty" because her paying customers don't want faces that look in any way distorted or unrealistic.

- - - - - - - - - -

Original image courtesy of Digital PhotoEffects magazine, February 2005 edition. See http://www.DCMAG.co.uk for subscription information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blonde 0 before DU.jpg (48.8 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg Blonde 2 MS web.jpg (84.2 KB, 327 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 07:42 PM

Irrespective of the bg Danny, this is a treat to see how well you are doing. It's beautiful.

Thank you for your very, very kind words. - djr

What didn't you like about the bg? The overall colours are lovely. Were the brushstrokes too large perhaps.? What brushes did you use overall?

I thought the background was "too busy" (large, irregular blotches) and drew attention away from the subject. - djr

You quote Marilyn ..."Marilyn emphasizes NOT making facial features "too arty" because her paying customers don't want faces that look in any way distorted or unrealistic."

I have struggled all along doing faces that appear way too arty for my own personal liking and I just cannot get the correct balance at all between doing everything else arty but not the face. You've achieved a balance with this result Danny but yet you can see you have done work on her face without going overboard.

Thanks, Neve. I was pleased with the outcome, too. And when my wife gives something a thumbs up, well it's a really sunny day for me.

For what it's worth I've always held that it was important to achieve stylistic consistency throughout a portrait. But after getting a closeup look at her creations and hearing her testimonials on what sells and what doesn't, I see the light now. People just want their paintings to look good. They want to be flattered and/or hear remarks about beautiful their children look or what a wonderful wedding portrait. Most could care less about stylistic consistency throughout a painting, which was news to me. But considering the success she is having, who can argue? - djr

I am encouraged by this heaps and will consider getting Marilyn's CD/s.

This piece is based on ideas/tidbits I picked up from her Volume 1 CD, which were demonstrated and further emphasized in the class. Sometimes when you see a technique applied "before your eyes," it helps you connect the dots on something you've previously read. She's begun posting video tutorials on her site, so be sure to check those out, too.

PLEASE NOTE: It's important to understand something about her (or anyone's) tutorials. One CD isn't going to transform anyone into the accomplished artist like she is any more than trying a few recipes will make someone into gourmet cook.

The results I got on this one came about because I've struggled and failed frequently trying to figure out how to do this sort of thing. Along the way I've been fortunate enough to pick up a little here and a little there -- experience I can now apply with some skill in certain situations.

What I learned from her CD amounted to about a 10% gain in my knowledge and technique, a significant amount. I don't want anyone to believe, however, that this, or any single training source, could possibly substitute for knowledge and skills gained the old fashioned way - through pain and suffering!

I'm not saying by any means to not consider her tutorials. I am saying have realistic expectations. They will definitely help improve the results you get, but by themselves will not make anyone into an artist. - djr

Regards
Neve

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 04-03-2005 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Added commentary.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 08:01 PM

The link on the PDF isn't active, I found this one for Marilyn's CD etc.

http://www.prostudiousa.com/painter.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2005, 05:52 AM

Thanks Danny for your response which you explained extremely well and was easily understood by moi and therefore others will too. Yes, I quite agree about using different tutorials etc. in that...

"PLEASE NOTE: It's important to understand something about her (or anyone's) tutorials. One CD isn't going to transform anyone into the accomplished artist like she is any more than trying a few recipes will make someone into gourmet cook. "

I've just posted a version I followed from the Painter 8 WOW book, an excellent tutorial by Michael Campbell. Once more I also agree, I learned much from it but it was mostly my input/changes etc. (and the result of pain and suffering through lots of failed attempts prior) that got me to the final result I wanted...!

There are so many wonderful expert Painter users to learn from and naturally, none of us will ever totally replicate what they achieve. The Painter 8 WOW book has a number of artists providing tips and tutorials, I like the mix and I know I bought wisely.

Cheers
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors