RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Justin (baby)

Old 06-24-2004, 03:59 PM

Creative Portraits: Justin (baby)

I've been looking for a good looking man to put up here. This one is a man now, at 21, but this was 4 months after he was born at 11.5 pounds and no, not a c-section. Best baby of all 21 I've had, and the last baby I didn't adopt-guess why he was the last.

AmyHutton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JustinHutton.jpg (64.4 KB, 87 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2004, 10:57 PM

Amy:

They sure change in just a few years, don't they? Here's a sort of sketchy look I'm tinkering with with Impressionist. Thanks for posting a fun pic.

- - - - -

Fluff: If you're monitoring this thread, how are you coming on your pencil sketch method?

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Justin-djr.jpg (54.8 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2004, 12:08 AM

Danny. I like how you tinker. Any tidbits of info? Thanks for the pic Amy!

Did some color balancing
Flaming Pear: Mr Contrast then Alt-Layer Mask and painted back background and blanket.
Xero: Soft Mood
PS: Texture: Grain: Speckle: Intensity 6 Contrast 84

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-JustinHutton.jpg (87.0 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2004, 12:24 PM

Amy--my oldest grew quickly like that too. It didn't feel like he was a baby long enough.

Danny--grayscale sketches are starting to grow on me--you may convert me yet.

Duv--I can see I'm going to have to explore xero--I'm seeing interesting results from it.

This is just several impressionist layers blended together and topped with some sketchy layers at low opacity. One of the things I enjoy about impressionist is that blending different layers together gives an image with more detail than any individual layer. (True of any layers, but the impressionist layers blend nicely ) The particular presets and blends are recorded in the soft water sketch action. http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-art-resources/8328-impressionist-plugin-custom-styles-member-posted.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jhuttonsoft-water-sketchwb.jpg (37.7 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2004, 03:01 PM

CH:

I've been battling with this look for a while and am a long ways from satisfied. I'll know "I'm there" when I see one from you!

- - - - -

Dave:

I've been fiddling with the Pencil Sketch: Detailed Mono style. In essence I've been tweaking/experimenting with these settings: General/Coverage, General/Pressure, Color/Brightness and Contrast, Size/Height and Width.

I'm finding that:
1. When you run the same settings in succession against the same base layer, you get slightly different results each time. This is to be expected because the Placement/Repeatable results setting is off.
2. Blending layers using the Darken blend mode builds up detail.

I'm tying to come up with a set of brushes that vary in detail (by adjusting pressure, stroke density, etc.) and keep more or less the same tone values between them. When I get a few that I think are worthy (and that I can explain), I'll upload them to the .set thread.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2005, 12:47 PM

my try

my attempt on baby justin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg justin4.jpg (41.6 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2005, 06:27 PM

Trimoon way...

On one of his cds the tools are brilliant especially the hairbrush.

Be nice if we could upload a bigger file i lose out when i have to resize it again and again.

I did this in photoshop, i hate the tablet and pen, i think what a waste of money i am back to using the mouse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JustinHutton.jpg (46.2 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2005, 01:29 PM

Did anyone ever attempt the Sargent Brush in painter 8??? Well, i did for the first time on baby Justin's pic and was quite surprised, to say the least! I also used painter's apply surface texture feature on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JustinHutton-web.jpg (98.2 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2005, 02:43 PM

baby justin

Here is a couple of my attempts at baby Justin
1. a pencil and ink action then a vignette

2. a new easy effect i found, a selection made with the texture on the outside not over the picture ( don't know why fancied something different and quite like it )

palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JustinHutton copy.jpg (88.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg JustinHutton1.jpg (95.2 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Patron

Still sewing.

Sorry for the huge compression (higher quality version here), but I still am not tired of this preset. For the skin/facial areas, I changed the placement setting to Random, otherwise it's the preset that I shared (gives it that shag look). I used the preset on two layers and selectively erased around the child to blend. Some sharpening and voila.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JustinHutton.jpg (97.8 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors