RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Justin

Old 07-04-2004, 09:38 PM

Creative Portraits: Justin

Pretty cute baby. Photo by his father, Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CI-Justin-by-JIm.jpg (99.2 KB, 101 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2004, 11:23 PM

I discovered what I thought was a neat paper (Lightpit) that I used on each of the Impressionist styles I used (see attachment .set file), along with Emboss=1.

The layers were ordered by detail (most detail to least, top to bottom) and layer masks used to selectively apply each layer. 20-20 hindshight: I wish I would have modified the original image a bit more to give more detail to his lips, which lost definition, but... Live and learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CI-Justin-by-JIm-djr.jpg (88.7 KB, 96 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip #djr-Justin.zip (570 Bytes, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2004, 06:09 PM

Technique:

PS7.0.1

Dupe BG
Masked foreground to isolate
Filter>Artistic>Fresco [Brush size 2, detail 8, texture 2]
Smudge to blend colors better
New layer underneath
Filter>render>clouds [colors light warm brown, darker green- from swatches]
Filter>sketch>halftone pattern [size 1, contrast 25, Pattern type- line]
Set opacity to 26% so background is visible

There you go... Kent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CI-J-by-j.jpg (81.4 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2004, 10:28 AM

image-duplicate-create sketch layer- use art history tool for color - use history tool to put back some details from original. Add new transparent layer - fill with white - add layer mask-use appropriate brush and black color to put back image onto layer - paint mode soft light - merge all. Add another sketch layer - multiply for black lines. Add texture. Add filter paint daubs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg justin6.jpg (73.1 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2004, 10:30 AM

love that work Jaykita! looks beautiful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2004, 12:13 AM

Sorry I can't remember exactly what I did to this as I did it some time ago but never got round to posting it

Christine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CI-Justin-by-JIm copy.jpg (93.6 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2004, 12:17 PM

Impressionist filter, various layers and blends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg justin-web.jpg (99.7 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2004, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykita
Impressionist filter, various layers and blends.
A very arty interpretation. I especially like this one. If you recall which Impressionst style(s) you used, I'd like to know.
~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2004, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
A very arty interpretation. I especially like this one. If you recall which Impressionst style(s) you used, I'd like to know.
~Danny~
Thank you Danny, for your appreciation. I know particularly well, that you go for the impressionist look. I can see why you (and so many others) like it. Kind of addictive
I'm trying to recall those steps. Didnt really expect anyone to ask for my technique!
O.k. Lets see. To begin with...MOST IMPORTANTLY -- i started by creating a special "brush" for my impr. filter -- with the image itself. So, i duplicated the image, desaturated it, and after adjustments- levels - for more contrast, went to adjustments - threshold. Saved this image in tiff format. (Remember where u put it.) I ONLY USED this CUSTOM BRUSH for all layers. Got the idea from Tutorials section "Impressionist plug-in - Tips, tricks and miracles" by jch71566.
Made about 4 duplicate copies of background image. On each of them, i used different settings, all like i said, with my custom brush which i invoked each time thro the impr filter. Also each time changed settings for color, orientation, size etc. sorry, dont remember too well One style was sumi-e - translucent strokes on white. Another i think dry brush - scrappy sketch (not sure), another chalk.
I remember i upped saturation a lot in one layer to get the color in. Yes, and all layers were of different opacity around 35 - 55%, and i also used layer masks to erase and reveal layer below. Also only 2 blends were used - normal and lighten.
I used a tip from Steve to create another layer by - select all - copy merged - paste. Gives you a merged layer on top of all those other layers. This does away with the actual merging of all layers into one. It helps if you want to duplicate any of the other layers for further use.
Finally, to harmonize, i used a render - clouds layer (with pale purple and yellow colors) , lowered opacity and overlay blend. Merged again. Selected a neutral beige from the image backgr and used a custom PS7 square textured brush to paint over background colors.
All you asked for were the "styles" and i droned on....Wonder if any of this helps.
Regards.

Last edited by jaykita; 09-29-2004 at 05:04 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2004, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykita
Thank you Danny, for your appreciation. I know particularly well, that you go for the impressionist look. I can see why you (and so many others) like it. Kind of addictive
I'm trying to recall those steps. Didnt really expect anyone to ask for my technique!

O.k. Lets see.

To begin with...MOST IMPORTANTLY -- i started by creating a special "brush" for my impr. filter -- with the image itself. So, i duplicated the image, desaturated it, and after adjustments- levels - for more contrast, went to adjustments - threshold. Saved this image in tiff format. (Remember where u put it.) I ONLY USED this CUSTOM BRUSH for all layers. Got the idea from Tutorials section "Impressionist plug-in - Tips, tricks and miracles" by jch71566.

Made about 4 duplicate copies of background image. On each of them, i used different settings, all like i said, with my custom brush which i invoked each time thro the impr filter. Also each time changed settings for color, orientation, size etc. sorry, dont remember too well
One style was sumi-e - translucent strokes on white. Another i think dry brush - scrappy sketch (not sure), another chalk.

I remember i upped saturation a lot in one layer to get the color in. Yes, and all layers were of different opacity around 35 - 55%, and i also used layer masks to erase and reveal layer below. Also only 2 blends were used - normal and lighten.

I used a tip from Steve to create another layer by - select all - copy merged - paste. Gives you a merged layer on top of all those other layers. This does away with the actual merging of all layers into one. It helps if you want to duplicate any of the other layers for further use.
Finally, to harmonize, i used a render - clouds layer (with pale purple and yellow colors) , lowered opacity and overlay blend. Merged again. Selected a neutral beige from the image backgr and used a custom PS7 square textured brush to paint over background colors.

All you asked for were the "styles" and i droned on....Wonder if any of this helps.

Regards.
Only your 2nd try with Impressionist? Yikes. This is awesome. And addictive? Yeah, you could say that!

Hadn't thought of making a custom brush from the image. That's pretty ingenius. I've barely experimented with custom brushes. Found that if you include a special character like #, $, !, @ as the first letter of the brush name, it (a) causes my brushes to sort to the top of the list and (b) make it easy to distinguish custom brushes from the ones Microsoft provided.

Don't worry about the extra detail. MORE is better.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors