RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Hands Folded

Old 08-15-2004, 11:49 AM

Jaykita these are both just beautiful...I am new to this...and am wondering exactly how you got these looks!!! Thanks for any help...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2004, 09:51 PM

Hi Jill8026. I would be happy to help though I'm no expert on the subject, please note!! However must add that I am quite proud of my creation!
The tutorial by Janee on soft portraits is very helpful. You'll find this at http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/porcelain/porcelain.htm.
Mostly I worked with brushes from the wet media esp. the "watercolor light opacity" in diff sizes and opacity depending on what i wanted to achieve with the image, namely a soft portrait
I first started with new adjustment layer- channel mixer - monochrome - red 87, G50, B20, constant minus 30. Then i erased the background completely, well almost (posted image below) by new layer, fill white, add layer mask reveal all. I kept changing from black to white to rectify mistakes. Also i discovered a really low brush opacity like 20% or so makes a big diff, and brush heavy flow scattered helps when working around hair. Ok, next I lightened this monochrome image considerably. Again i achieved this by using a layer mask and brushes of really low opacity. Finally, paste the original image (the colored one with the background )over this one, screen blend at 100% opacity. Tada!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hands folded6.jpg (67.8 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2004, 09:58 PM

Sorry forgot to add that the one with the superimposed pencil sketch was achieved by first making a greyscale sketch in the usual way, converting it to color by new adjustment layer -channel mixer- (no monochrome) and playing with the controls till u get a nice brownish color to match the image. Use this as a layer, multiply blend.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2004, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill8026
Jaykita these are both just beautiful...I am new to this...and am wondering exactly how you got these looks!!! Thanks for any help...
Hi Jill:

Wanted to say, "Welcome" to the forum and "Thanks for jumping in with your question."

...and to jaykita: Thanks for coming through with your description and link to Janee's site. She's got some terrific tutorials there.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2004, 08:40 PM

thank you so much for that great replay of what you did!!! you should be proud of it, the picture is just gorgeous!!!!! I have been lurking on this board for a while....and I just love it here!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2004, 08:45 PM

that pic is absolutely adorable!

2 copies - bottom: palette knife, top: poster edges and hard light blend, some curves on the bottom one to decrease the oversaturation, copy merged and paste as a new layer, some smudging to make the skin smoother...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JC-Portrait-Hands-Folded-DMaynard_.jpg (55.0 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2004, 05:49 AM

These are GREAT. What a wealth of information.

Not sure if this is the proper protocol. I was particularly impressed with SHARIWB's submission (hands Folded). I would like to know the process to get to the look that was achieved there. It really comes close to my old watercolor style which I am trying now to match digitally. Really looks good shariwb!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2004, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dws2434
Not sure if this is the proper protocol.
You used the perfect protocol.

Shari doesn't stop by often, so until she does again to confirm, it looks like she used a method (or one similar to it) that's available from Trimoon (Stephen Lequier). See "watercolor tutorial" here: http://www.trimoon.com/

Also: Check the 2nd post in this thread. It has a link that will display other paintings Shari has posted, in which she leaves some detail on her methods.

Thanks for asking... and keep doing it!

~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 08-26-2004 at 09:27 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2004, 07:31 PM

Lost track of everything, but what I remember:

colorized
impressionist brush painter8
pattern pen painter 8
mask psp7
glass filters
border added
adjusted colors/contrast
edge preserving smooth
renaissance filter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchpro hands folded copy 2.JPG (86.7 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Reason; 09-30-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2005, 11:16 AM

Another adorable pic worth reviving! I hope u enjoy working on it as much as i did.
My watercolor effect...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hands-folded-web.jpg (82.4 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by jaykita; 02-23-2005 at 07:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors