RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Lady with a Rose

Old 07-22-2004, 03:00 PM

one more try

This time I greyscaled the original, then buzzed it, did xero lineart. Then back to the original greyscaled and added VP color Pencil, mirrored it and added color pencil again. Then desaturated the colors so it was less purple and softened it significantly.

AmyHutton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ladywithrose2.jpg (45.7 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2004, 05:32 PM

Good effort again Jaykita and good luck with Painter 8, I've seen some stunning results from folks using that program. Amy - I like what you did, especially the coloured pencil but I think finer black lines would improve your result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2004, 08:38 AM

Guess I went overboard with this one, huh?
-- converted hotchpotch to greyscale- used a impressionist pencil sketch filter from danny's collection - ran it thro painter with water tool - back to PS7 with paint daub filter, watercolor, and multiplied with another pencil sketch (my own)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ladywithrose6.jpg (79.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg lady1.jpg (65.7 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by jaykita; 08-06-2004 at 11:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2004, 10:50 AM

my take on 20's lady

OK, so it isn't so artsy. But what is art but subjective.

I thoroughly enjoyed colorizing his pretty young 1920s girl. And that's all I did. Colorize her. I used one layer for each color then used hue and saturation and blending modes to tweak each of them. When I was finished I flattened it and again used hue/sat to bring up the punch. I wanted a slightly overblown/overdone effect in the colorizing, one that would tell the viewer that this old photo had been hand colored in the 1920's. I hope that this posts (with small file formats it is difficult to tell sometimes how it will turn out) the way I intended.

Carefree giggle,
Janet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ladywithroseorigfixed.jpg (96.8 KB, 191 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2004, 02:28 PM

Danny- Wow! Not only is your rendition impressive, but the detail and time you took to tell us not only the steps but WHY you chose them is marvelous

Let me ask you- what is the difference between the way you merge layers and the regular way? Does the normal way to flatten an image detract from it's quality?

Donna
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2004, 02:47 PM

About merging. When you create a new blank layer and merge visible the layers you want to combine into the blank, it gives you a 'flat' image AND keeps the individual layers intact. Actual flattening is the LAST thing you do, only when the image is complete. If you're working for a client, it is best to keep one copy with all the layers, in case of changes. Hope this is clear.
kiska
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2004, 05:00 PM

OH! I see what you're saying about layers...yeah, I understand that completely. I think everyone here has probably banged his or her head against the desk a time or two due to not saving particular layers. Especially in the old Photoshop days when there was no History! I thought he was saying there was a process to flattening an image that was better or worse. I guess I'm more old school- I tend to save versions of my work in seperate documents rather than on layers, but I'm with ya now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2004, 09:32 PM

Lady with a rose

Danny, I'm impressed. Nice work. And who says you don't have any artistic talent? Not you I hope. Your description is the best. Clean, concise, thorough. You did what I only dream about doing with photos into art.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2004, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty
Danny, I'm impressed. Nice work. And who says you don't have any artistic talent? Not you I hope. Your description is the best. Clean, concise, thorough. You did what I only dream about doing with photos into art.
Janet:

I'm just now getting back into "forum mode" after being off the net for a few days. Your kind words are sincerely appreciated.

Believe me. If I can learn to do this stuff, you can too. It just takes practice, lots of experimenting and the willingness to ask "how" if you see an effect you'd like to know more about. Most folks are glad to share "how."

Donna:

Looks like the lightbulb went on for you regarding the merging of layers. Merging layers (vs. flattening) does not change the overall result. It's just a different way to skin the cat.

You can definitely save physical versions of a file, e.g., painting stage 1.psd, painting stage 2.psd, etc. as you go along. Nothing wrong with that.

I prefer to do the functional equivalent of periodically merging visible layers into a single layer via the Alt + ctrl + shift + E command. (You can do the same thing by creating a new layer, then holding down Alt and selecting Layer > Merge Visible.) Creating periodic "merged layers snapshots" allows me the flexiblity of stepping backwards and starting over if I start going down a path and really hose things up -- not an uncommon occurrance, I might add!

By maintaining the individual layers and, as I go, assigning names to them that indicate (to me) what I did to create that layer, e.g., "Pencil Sketch (2,6,50) + Unsharp Mask (200,5,0)", I'm able to go back at a later time and "decode" the how-to steps for a given pic. Getting into the habit of assiging layer names as you go takes a bit of practice, but is invaluable if you have a lousy memory like I do and ever hear yourself ask the question, "Now, HOW did I DO THAT?"

Thanks for your kind words, too. Glad you found my descriptions useful. It's that kind of feedback that makes it worthwhile!

More questions? Don't hesitate to ask. Always glad to help.

~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 08-06-2004 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2004, 10:38 PM

Jakita:

(another) stunning interpretation. Did you even give Painter a test flight?

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors