RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Lady with a Rose

Old 07-13-2004, 05:26 PM

Creative Portraits: Lady with a Rose

One of my favorite passtimes is to take antique photos and turn them into modern portraits, with an artistic flare. Here's an old pic of a lady with a rose. And what I did with it. See what you can do to turn this into something a litle more exciting.

I did mine with buzz, a heavy canvas texture, and VP impasto, and played with the tones and colors.

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!
AmyHutton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ladywithroseorig.jpg (34.7 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg ladywithrosecanvas.jpg (91.9 KB, 323 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2004, 12:36 AM

What a lovely lady. Sorry. Must be an old guy thing. One of the few times I got so distracted I forgot to note my steps. Anyhow, Amy, thanks for posting!

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-ladywithroseorig.jpg (81.9 KB, 96 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2004, 04:56 AM

I love these old photos too - thanks for posting this one Amy.

Couple of layers of Xero Line Art - one sketch - one drawing.
sketch on top in soft light mode, duplicated to lighten more.

New layer in overlay mode painted on to bring back eyes, lips, hair and rose.

Sandstone texture.

I felt this was too smooth so ran paint engine and clicked randomize til I found one I liked.

Christine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ladywithrosecopy.jpg (85.3 KB, 168 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2004, 02:52 PM

Amy:

Wonderful pic with which to experiment. A+.

- - - - - -

jaykita: Thanks for sharing your creativity and welcome. Hope to see more of your handiwork in the future.

- - - - - -

Here's the basic how-to on mine:
1. Cloned out the watermark in the right/bottom foreground.
2. Added Levels adjustment layer. Lightened image considerably; then CTRL + I to invert the mask (effectively turning off the effect).
3. Airbrushed white in areas that looked too dark, like around eyes and some portions of hair.
4. Created a new layer on the top of the layer stack.
5. Alt + Ctrl + Shift + E to merge visible without collapsing individual layers.
6. Named this merged layer "Base."
7. Dupicated "Base" and applied Impressionist custom style "#djroil24" which can be downloaded HERE
8. Duplicated "Base" again; dragged duplicate to top of layer stack. Applied Photoshop Dry Brush filter. This renders an arty effect, but retains a lot of detail.
9. Added a hide all layer mask to the Dry Brush layer. Airbrushed white around eyes, nose, mouth and the rose to restore detail that Impressionist blasted.
10. Duplicated "Base" again; dragged duplicate to top of layer stack.
11. Added a hide all layer mask. Airbrushed white around eyes and mouth to bring back even a little more detail.
12. Selected the Eye Dropper tool and clicked on a sepia colored portion of the image to set the foreground color.
13. Added a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to the top of the layer stack and clicked the "colorize" option, which colorizes according to the current foreground color. Convenient, huh? Tweaked the controls until I liked the overall adjusted sepia effect.
14. Clicked the foreground color swatch and, from the color picker dialog, selected a bright red color.
15. Added a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to the top of the layer stack and clicked the "colorize" option, giving the image a very red look.
16. Ctrl + I to invert the adjustment layer.
17. With a relatively small brush, I airbrushed white again this time on the rose, colorizing it.
18. Fiddled with opacity of H/S layer, as well as the H, S, L controls.
19. Added new layer on top of layer stack.
20. Alt + Ctrl + Shift + E to merge visible without collapsing individual layers.
21. Applied some Unsharp Mask to bring out some detail.
22. Finally, applied Levels adjustment layer to add some contrast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lady-with-a-Rose-djr.jpg (46.5 KB, 221 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2004, 02:02 PM

Great antique photo and wonderful renditions. I colorized the photo and used the impressionist paint filter to give an oil painted effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ladywithroses final.jpg (90.1 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by shariwb; 07-17-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 08:04 PM

Blue Lady

I've thoroughly enjoyed viewing all the creative submissions, well done! Thank you for the lovely picture to work with...I desaturated then colourised (tentatively...)using PSP8.01. Duped and added a soft light layer. Applied Buzz filter and a canvas texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue Lady.jpg (71.9 KB, 132 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 11:19 PM

Greetings, Neve:

It's an honor to be joined by new members from Down Under. Welcome aboard!

This is a very nice interpretation. I hope we'll be seeing more of your work in the future.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2004, 11:46 AM

i have struggled long and hard with this one. Please dont ask me how i did it..lol...i want desperately to learn how to watercolor digitally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lady3.jpg (62.2 KB, 103 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2004, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykita
i have struggled long and hard with this one. Please dont ask me how i did it..lol...i want desperately to learn how to watercolor digitally.
OK, so how did you do it? (just kidding...) I like this one even more than your 1st version.

re: "i want desperately to learn how to watercolor digitally."

Corel Painter has an ocean of creative effects among which WC is highly touted. From what I've seen it is about the best program on the planet for rendering very realistic looking digital watercolors.

If you aspire to literally learn to paint in WC style, there's no reason why Painter could not serve this purpose. If you already have some traditional art skills (painting, drawing/sketching, etc.), so much the better.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2004, 08:00 PM

Thanks Danny, I'm happy to be here.

Jaykita - you're trying hard. Keep right on experimenting, the pieces will eventually gel. I found that by writing/typing notes on steps I take was the way to go as I'd often forget steps and wished I'd written it down. I keep a folder now of procedures/steps that are favourites which I can update whenever I wish quite easily.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors