RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Sharp Dressed Man

Old 07-23-2004, 08:48 PM

Creative Portraits: Sharp Dressed Man

This pic is courtesy of www.MorgueFile.com (really), a source of an interesting assortment of royalty free images.

See what you can do with this dude!

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CI-morgueFile.com.sharp-dressed.jpg (88.8 KB, 105 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2004, 05:38 AM

Thought a Mediterranean background would be suitable. Ran a Render Lighting filter to add shadows, and used multiple layers to add "character" via Palette Knife and layer masks to reduce effects to taste. Now he's kind of a cross between Bogie and Pacino...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CI-sharpdresser-CJ.jpg (98.1 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2004, 08:24 AM

Danny, what do u think?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2004, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykita
Danny, what do u think?
jaykita: Very, very stylish. Swapping the white for a black background was a terrific idea.

You've definitely got the touch!

- - - - - - - - - - -

CJ: Your background replacement is a definite improvement, too. It fits right in decor-wise with our sharp dressed man.

I never think of things like swapping out backgrounds like this as you'll see from mine.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Mine #1:
* Bottom layer: Duplicate of background to which Impressionist > Watercolor > Damp Translucent (with pressure lowered to 80) was applied twice, then Unsharp Mask, then Damp Translucent again (same settings)
* Middle layer: Duplicate of background to which Photoshop Watercolor filter was applied. Added a hide all layer mask and airbrushed in a little detail around eyes, ears, mouth.
* Top layer: Duplicate of background to which Xero > Lineart filter to get black edges on white background. Changed blend mode from Normal to Darken and then applied Virtual Painter Oil Painting about 6 times to soften up the lines. Lowered opacity to about 10%

- - - - - - - - - - -

Mine #2:

This may "look complicated" because of all the verbiage, but isn't. Near the end are a few steps that are necessary, but don't lend themselves to brevity.

* Used the Magic Wand tool (tolerance = 10) to click on the very convenient all white background. Select > Save Selection... I named it "Select BG". This is an easy way to create a selection that will come in handy later on.
* 1st layer above BG: Duplicate of background to which Xero > Fritillary was applied (settings tweaked for large grid). This filter is available in the Set 4 collection here.
* 2nd layer above BG: Duplicate of background again to which Xero > Fritillary was applied (settings tweaked for small, detailed grid). Added a hide all layer mask and airbrushed skin and shirt to reveal details.
* 3nd layer above: New layer. Alt + Ctrl + Shift + E to merge layers below into this one.
* 4th layer: Duplicated 3rd layer. Apply Virtual Painter Rectangles. Tweaked settings with the intent of rendering background rectangles somewhat larger than the ones on the jacket. For more distinctive size contrast I should have gone for "larger" than what I got, but these will have to do. Select > Load Selection > "Select BG" (created in first step). With the selection active, I added a layer mask which (due to the active selection) revealed the "detail" layer below while keeping the Virtual Painter rendered. Pretty neat, but...
* Virtual Painter has a tendency of "distorting" images sometimes, so there were some unwanted portions of the top layer visible, around the edges of our Sharp Dressed Guy. What to do? Cover up the offending areas.
* Alt + Click on the top layer's eyeball, turning off all layers. Because of the layer mask, it will look like there's a big hole in the middle. That's OK.
* With the Rectangular Marquee selection tool, I selected a section of the layer near and about the same size as a spilled over section Alt + Ctrl + D to bring up the Feather dialog, radius=2, OK; Ctrl + J to copy the feathered selection to a new layer. Press V key to invoke Move tool and drag newly created layer into position. Use arrow keys to fine tune positioning. Repeat these steps as many times as necessary until coverup is complete. Don't forget to click on the Virtual Painter layer each time before making the selection.
* After all the "cover up" pieces were created and positioned, be sure the only layers with eyeballs on are the Virtual Painter layer and the layers above it with the cover up pieces. Click on the VP layer and Layer > Merge Visible to combine them.
* While I was at it I wanted to add some "depth" the rectangles on this layer, so I duplicated the newly combined layer. Next, Stylize > Emboss (135,3,75) was applied and the blend mode of the embossed layer changed to Overlay. That helped, but the embossed layer was duplicated two more times.
* Again the visible layers were merged, Layer > Merge visible.
* In the process of modifiying this layer, the layer mask got hosed. Not a problem: Select > Load Selection > "Select BG" again and add another layer mask.
* Turn on the merged 3rd layer above BG ("below the hole") to reveal the detail.
* Add Levels and/or Hue/Saturation adjustment layers at the top of the layer stack to tweak contrast or color to taste.

Something that was a little unusual on this one. The portion of the top layer (rendered by Virtual Painter and given more depth using the embossed layers) represents the background of the final image. So what? The point is the "bottom" layer doesn't necessarily have to be the "background" and the top layer not necessarily the "foreground." With layer masks you can pretty much control your own destiny.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sharp dressed man djr.jpg (94.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg sharp dressed man v2 mosaic djr.jpg (82.0 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 07-24-2004 at 04:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2004, 01:18 PM

I created a Water Color Layer in Painter 8 and selected a Watercolor runny air brush set to Size: 175 Opacity: 100% Spread: 40 degree and chose a gray color. Painted over figure and portion of white background. Still on the water color layer, Selected Effects: Esoterica: Maze: Gaussian Am't 3.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-morgueFile.com.sharp-dressed.JPG (97.1 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2004, 07:12 PM

thinker

This is just a VP oil with everything on subtle but focus, merged with impressionist charcoal set at 208

AmyHutton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thinker.jpg (92.3 KB, 82 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2004, 08:41 AM

Jaykita,

Won't you please share how you obtained this effect?

Thank you,
Dee
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2004, 09:20 AM

many nice works so far! i like especially (but not only) CJ's and Duv's works

-------------
head is watercolour w/ dry brush as a hard light over it, suit is very soft accented edges, and i added few edges to restore "definition"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sharp-dressed_water_dry+accented_.jpg (75.0 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2004, 10:53 AM

For Dee:
I hadn't made notes on this one (regret it now), however ive tried to retrace my steps and came up with something very similar that i hope will satisfy you. Not exactly the image i created earlier, so sorry.
I've used psp6 with photoshop7.
Start with psp6... first prepare a sketch from the original image. To do this, duplicate the original (Dude) - then greyscale layer - negative - gaussian blur 5.00. Merge. Blur More (twice). Unsharp mask strength 300 radius 20 clipping 2. Clean up spots. Save as Dude1.
Open Dude. Paste Dude1. Paint Mode - exclusion 58%. Merge, then - Brightness 23 contrast 75 - Save as Dude2.
Open Dude - paste Dude2 - paint mode of layer Luminance - merge- save as Dude3.
Open Dude - paste Dude3 - paintmode hard light - merge - save as Dude4.
Open Dude4. Duplicate - multiply layer - merge - save as Dude5 - Blur more - unsharp mask strength 200. Brightness is -30 and contrast +50. Save.
Go to Photoshop. Open Dude5. Smart Blur, next Sprayed strokes. Paste sketch image Dude1 - multiply - merge layers. Save as Dude6. Saturation is -25, Hue is -8. Paste Dude1 - multiply - Fresco. Paste Dude1 one more time - multiply - merge. Save. Use fill color black on background. Use smudge tool accordingly.
I know, seems like a lot of saved images. But for my earlier creation, I just went along copying and pasting as and when i liked, and lost them all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dude10.jpg (61.6 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2004, 02:09 PM

jaykita:

That was very kind of you to retrace and document your steps in such detail.

Just out of curiosity is there a reason you didn't do all of your work in Photoshop? Of the PSP steps you listed I didn't see any that couldn't be done in Photoshop.

In any event, this is an awesome creation.
~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors