RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Mother and Daughter - Toni and Shanon

Old 09-29-2004, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason
painted and blended in painter 8, about 9 hours.
Bravo, Reason. Lovely rendition! Well worth the effort!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2004, 10:26 AM

3 copies of background layer.

Bottom copy - Xero line Art - Drawing to lighten and enhance colours followed by impressionist chalk - background = image brush = 25 ran this twice.

next layer white fill - layer mask and using Trimoon's water colour technique painted back figures and part of background.

Next background copy layer - Chalkaholic, gaussian blur 2.5, Sketcher - dodged colour on girls neck later. Layer mode = screen

Next background copy Xero line art - Sketch, line = 10, Tone = -63, Mono. Layer mode = multiply. Painted white with rough brush to remove edges where ovelapped undelying layers

Christine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP-Toni-and-Shanon-copy.jpg (97.0 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2004, 12:33 PM

Here's mine. And these are the steps:
First, original image-adjustment levels to brighten and lighten, 0, 1.45, 255.
Made 6 background copies. From last layer upwards:
6th - Impressionist plug-in pencil sketch soft detailed, opac 100, Normal.
5th - Impr custom #djr oil 24, hard light, opac 58.
4th - Impr custom chalk soft detail pastel rain (palette rainbow), normal opac 53.
3rd - Backgr copy - smart blur, find edges, invert, diffuse anisotropic, multiply, opac 63.
2nd - same as 6th, hard light, opac 57.
1st - Backgr copy - g'blur, soft light.
Merge all. Increase saturation upto 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tonyshanon-web1.jpg (99.2 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2004, 06:40 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason
changed photo to black and white
painted and blended in painter 8, about 9 hours.
used edge preserving smooth in psp7
used emboss filter
added a glass filter
added black border
added glass filter.
Great effort! I always look forward to seeing your exciting use of color!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2004, 07:36 PM

Thanks, Mary
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2004, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Hnatiuk
Great effort! I always look forward to seeing your exciting use of color!
Welcome, Mary. Nice to see your cheerleading for Reason's creative effort. Hope to see something arty from you, too!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2004, 04:54 AM

Duped several layers in PShop,
Filled empty layer with gold, layer blend on Soft Light to add glow of sunlight
Layer 4: Ran Angled Strokes with layer blend set to Overlay
Layer 3: ran Sketch -> stamp filter with Layer blend set to Color Burn
Layer 2: ran Artistic - > Colored Pencil , layer blend set to Luminosity
Background layer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP-Toni-and-Shanon-JThueml-.jpg (99.9 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2005, 08:09 AM

Question

Let's see, hard to remember all the steps...

1) Replaced background, did a painted background, didn't like the way the background became lighter than the people. (I still posted this image for other opinions below.)

2) Second attempt tried a darker background with a motion blur.

3) Spent time getting some of the colors into the hair and clothing so it would have a more consistent color palette for a painting.

4) Used a warming filter on the people faces and used Virtual Painter as a color only layer across the whole painting at about 50% opacity. Manually elimited garish green color artifacts in the face from the jpg using a color adjustment layer with layer mask.

5) Into Painter IX (arrived yesterday). Definately faster, didn't seem much different than 8 though. Would have liked Corel to have put maybe one or two "Wow" items for the sake of the upgrade, but I guess the product is starting to come to a point of completion? Still, it seems by this forum that there are lots of steps to get a painted look, perhaps more automation of this in Painter down the road, but I digress...

6) Oil cloners and blenders in Painter to soften and blend.

7) Back to PS for a quick vignette, a high-pass filter overlay and a border

Still struggling with making the jump to the next level of skill/experience. Would appreciate and suggestions or critiques no matter how harsh. The direction I want to head is more in the direction of a Helen Yancy, Fay Sirkis, Jeremy Sutton - realism but definately painted. The only way to get there is good feedback from others. This is my second post and I did get one critique on my first from SWEngineer (Thanks Mark) and thanks to everyone here too -what a great community!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FirstTry-Toni-and-Shanon-1.jpg (61.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Final-Toni-and-Shanon-3.jpg (98.3 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2005, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plewis6
The direction I want to head is more in the direction of a Helen Yancy, Fay Sirkis, Jeremy Sutton - realism but definately painted. The only way to get there is good feedback from others. This is my second post and I did get one critique on my first from SWEngineer (Thanks Mark) and thanks to everyone here too -what a great community!!!
Paul:

Your style is very Jeremy-like (and that's a compliment). Colors and blending look fine to me. Using VP for a color layer is very effective since VP really juices up colors.

For "paintings" they look a bit flat texture-wise. Have you tried Effects > Surface Control > Apply Surface Texture > 3D brush strokes (or image luminance) to bring out the brushes texture a bit more? Sometimes a little Unsharp Mask helps, too.

re: Painter IX
I've heard it is faster and a bit more Photoshop-like in terms of layers, commands, ability to rotate canvas, etc.

How's reliabity so far? I've heard mixed reviews.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2005, 04:23 PM

Danny, I have not tried the Surface Control to get more brush texture but will try that soon.

I agree with VP as a color juicer. Very different from simply increasing the saturation for two primary reasons. First, it varies the colors (in little rough squares if using oil paint). Second, it avoids the equivalent of "out-of-gamut" colors for a painter. For example in my first submission I mentioned how many painters would not paint with black but rather would blend colors to acheive dark tones instead. VP subs out colors like black and grey for more appealing colors.

Painter IX.
Well I was stable on my computer with Painter 8, but watched it crash regularly on my wife's computer. Painter IX has been stable for the one project I have done on it ( 30 minutes of activity). I think the speed up may have been exaggerated, doesn't feel like 10 times faster, but it is noticeably faster, and to be honest, the slow downs in Painter 8 made it painful to use and certainly took away from the freedom to experiment. My upgrade was only $179 and probably worth the money. If it had been $99 it would have been a no brainer, but no major complaints.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors