RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Mother and Daughter - Toni and Shanon

Old 03-08-2005, 08:49 PM

Here's mine and some feedback for Paul:

Paul, I'm not much of a critic (but practice helps I expect ) I think your first version has too strong of a blue cast in the skin tones, but I like the background. In the 2nd, I don't like the background as well. It competes too much with the subject(s). In both case, it seems the coloration of the subjects tends to blend them into the background as opposed to having them stand out against it. I think a good mix would be the ladies from the 2nd image with the background from the first.

For mine, I surrendered to the blown out highlights.
BG: Color corrected
A: copy BG. Amphisoft Simplifier. Xero Porcelain. Impressionist-JaykitaWC2 modified
B: copy A. VirtualPhographer-Dreamy. Layermask to save what little color existed in the upper background
C-E: Cloning & copy/paste to make the composition (foliage, faint background colors) more to my liking.

-Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mom&daughter_art.jpg (82.3 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 06:20 AM

Mark,

Thanks for the comments. Yeah the first one I quit working on half way because it didn't seem to be working. Never got around to proper color correction.

I am still pondering your second comment because I can plainly see that the colors of the people on the second image would look much better on the first, and that they are "blending" in on the second image. I also know that I try to reduce the palette of colors in any image so that things don't look like they were cut out and pasted in. In most cases, a traditional painter would only mix so many colors/hues for a particular image.

I wonder if anyone else in the forum has general thoughts or suggestions about color reduction, or possibly has traditional painting experience/guidelines they might share with us?

All comments are appreciated!

-paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plewis6
I wonder if anyone else in the forum has general thoughts or suggestions about color reduction, or possibly has traditional painting experience/guidelines they might share with us?

-paul
I don't have traditional painting experience, but based on some study I did discover one of things that disntinguishes paintings from photos is that paintings normally have considerably fewer colors than a color photo of the same scene. (Color photos attempt to capture all colors in a scene.)

Traditional artists apply color theory, too, when it comes to color selection, e.g. complimentary colors to achieve contrast and seldom using true whites and blacks.

Color simplification is definitely a goal for one trying to achieve more of a truly painted look. I don't have any good ideas, however, on how to achieve that without a lot of manual effort (as in select/replace colors).

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 11:12 PM

Here's an attempt at a watercolor effect using filters like median, palette knife, and the good old watercolor filter in ps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tonishanon1-web.jpg (99.5 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2005, 09:57 AM

Jaykita...really like your results here...the colors are glorious.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2005, 04:07 PM

I'm not sure if I should post this here, in retouching, or somewhere else . I guess framing is an art too so here it is.

I converted the photo to sepia by using hue/saturation with the colorize box checked, then adjusted levels a little.

For the mat I simply made an oval, punched out the center, colored, added noise and used layer styles to add a drop shadow. I made the frame using the same basic steps except instead of noise I used the wood filter in Eye Candy 4000. I used styles to add a bevel and a couple more drop shadows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP-Toni-and-Shanon-J.Thueml-org.jpg (95.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg CP-Toni-and-Shanon-J.Thueml.jpg (85.6 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2005, 11:00 AM

Hi all,
I started with a sketch effect and selected just the parts I wanted. Then filled the background with white and deselected.
Softened the edges round what was left.
Duped the background layer and added sepia tone.
deleted background on the sepia layer over eyes and teeth.
Merged then added a canvas texture.

Regards,
Mitch.

Last edited by Mitch; 08-16-2007 at 02:44 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2005, 11:35 AM

Sorry = the canvas effect looks nasty at this size!
Slightly better without.
Regards,
Mitch.

Last edited by Mitch; 08-16-2007 at 02:44 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2005, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch
Sorry = the canvas effect looks nasty at this size!
Slightly better without.
Regards,
Mitch.
Agreed. Sans texture looks better under these conditions.

For future reference you can edit you own posts (Click Edit, then Manage Attachments again to delete, then add a replacement image.)

No problem in this case, since having both provided a means of comparison.

Nice results in either case.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2005, 05:45 PM

Colored pencil and pen sketch

I used photoshop's graphic pen effect to create copies of this in four different orientations (horizontal, vertical, left diagonal, right diagonal), then used these with various blend modes over the original, saving the result each time in a new layer. I then made a copy of all of the original that wasn't overlapped by these. I used the colored pencil effect on this and on a copy of the original. I blended these two for the best effect. Then I used the four blended graphic pen layers, with layer masks, to add some directional strokes where needed. I also did some further monkeying around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woman_and_daughter.jpg (90.9 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors