RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Kids, Charlie

Old 09-29-2004, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
Ditto on the request to reveal on the Impressionist styles. This is very cool.
Thank you, once again, Danny. I've already replied to you in Creative Portraits: Justin (at length!)
Here, i shall try to remember some of the styles and steps i used for this particular image.
First of all, i created a custom brush for the impr plug-in by desaturating, then filter noise, sharpen more, and motion blur. Unsharp mask. Saved in tiff format.
Image - adjus levels to brighten and increased saturation.
Backgr copy into several layers.
Backgr-copy -- g'blur, multiple blend. One layer - detailed opaque strokes - linear light. Next - chalk faithful, opacity 70. Next - distort- diffuse glow foregr black, backgr color white, overlay blend, opac 66. Next - luminosity blend layer with style pencil sketch. Next - chalk sketch half finished, blend lighten at opac.75. Last- sumi-e -translucent strokes on white.
All layers had layer masks to reveal a part of the underlying layer.
These were the basic layers. Then i kept adding a few more layers by duplicating existing ones and changing blends and opacity. Sorry, i dont remember how exactly.
Using original image (modified to match saturation and brightness) i cloned in the eyes and mouth faintly. I also remember using a software that i have called photobrush ---it has a very interesting usm filter which i used to sharpen the image.
Hope some of this info has helped.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2004, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykita
* First of all, i created a custom brush for the impr plug-in by desaturating, then filter noise, sharpen more, and motion blur. Unsharp mask. Saved in tiff format.
* Image - adjus levels to brighten and increased saturation.
* Backgr copy into several layers.
* Backgr-copy -- g'blur, multiple blend.
* One layer - detailed opaque strokes - linear light.
* Next - chalk faithful, opacity 70.
* Next - distort- diffuse glow foregr black, backgr color white, overlay blend, opac 66.
* Next - luminosity blend layer with style pencil sketch.
* Next - chalk sketch half finished, blend lighten at opac.75.
* Last- sumi-e -translucent strokes on white.

All layers had layer masks to reveal a part of the underlying layer.
These were the basic layers.

Then i kept adding a few more layers by duplicating existing ones and changing blends and opacity. Sorry, i dont remember how exactly.

Using original image (modified to match saturation and brightness) i cloned in the eyes and mouth faintly. I also remember using a software that i have called photobrush. It has a very interesting usm filter which i used to sharpen the image.

Hope some of this info has helped.
Bless your heart. (I added the *'s above to help distinguish the steps.)

The detail you provided is like looking inside your head as you created and helps a lot. Glad to hear you tried creating a custom brush. Very interesting. David Cole is about to experiment doing that himself.

Thx for taking the time to share your creativity with us here -- and with the Justin pic, too.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2004, 07:57 PM

Inspirational submissions as always! I went for a coloured pencil - still experimenting with Paint Alchemy.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charlie Col Pencil.jpg (92.8 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2004, 04:21 AM

Question for Neve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neve
Inspirational submissions as always! I went for a coloured pencil - still experimenting with Paint Alchemy.

Cheers
Hi Neve. I like the way youve done the frame. Very nice! Would like to know if "Paint Alchemy" is the same one available in corel photopaint? Or is it a standalone?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2004, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neve

Cheers
Neve:

I saw a frame very similar to this on a pBase.com pic not long ago. Very cool. Is it one of the Paintshop PRO built-in effects?

Keep experimenting with Paint Alchemy. If you can figure it out, maybe you can explain it to the rest of us! (LOL)

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2004, 01:06 AM

Thank you folks!

Jaykita - I use it as a plugin with PSP8.01. I don't have Corel Photopaint. Danny's correct about the frame, it comes bundled with PSP8.01.

Re Paint Alchemy - I much prefer using these filters on very large images like the sample attached which was originally 2950 x 2094.

I duped the original layer, on the second layer I applied PA's Oil Canvas Detail with no changes at all. Reduced the opacity on the layer to 60% and merged.
Added texture only after reducing the image size.

Cheers

p.s. I did Buzz the original however the effect was slight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sample.jpg (40.7 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2005, 01:37 PM

Red face What a beautiful lil girl!

Impressionist Plugin - Marker Textured Septia Tonal - Custom Color.

25% brush size
100% Coverage
200% Pressure

I also added a mask one i made myself in psp...

~Legacy~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charlieseptia.jpg (84.8 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2005, 12:24 AM

Would Charlie's mum be interested in this??
Cloned in painter 8 with soft charcoal pencil. Varied brush size and opacity wherever necessary. Finally, screen-blended with the original for a softer, brighter image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charlie-web.jpg (67.6 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2005, 01:39 AM

Beautiful result!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2005, 05:08 PM

Such a cute little girl! Everyone has some great submissions. Here's mine using the art history brush and several blending layers. I also used the emboss filter to help create some depth and then added some texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charlie Final.jpg (76.9 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors