RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Kids, Janet's Angel

Old 10-02-2004, 09:42 PM

Creative Portraits: Kids, Janet's Angel

How about this cutie submitted a while back by Janet?

On this one you can practice your retouching as well as your arty skills!

I bet Neve's Paint Alchemy technique would look good on this one.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP-Sister #2 by Janet.jpg (96.3 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2004, 05:07 PM

How did I miss this picture. Hmmm. Must get to work on it right away since it is "mine". Giggle.

Also considering the temperature was 103 degrees the day I shot this, little Holly doesn't look too bad in the heat. Let's clean her up and make her Mama prouder than ever.

I extracted Holly and placed a radial gradient and clouds behind her, feathered out the hard edges of her little shirt and blended it all in. Cloning and a hue/sat adjustment cleaned up her heat rash.

The painted on version followed Trimoon's watercolor tutorial very nearly to the letter. I think I'm FINALLY getting the hang of the tricky Art History Brush...and I do mean FINALLY. The little beasty is a tricky one to learn (at least for me).

My new motto: Practice, Practice, Practice doesn't necessarily make perfect; but the process is fun.

Janet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP-Sister-#2-by-Janet-copy.jpg (94.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg CP-Sister-#2-by-Janet.jpg (93.5 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Janet Petty; 10-17-2004 at 07:10 PM. Reason: added pics
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2004, 11:03 PM

I love the big eyes of this little cutey patooty! Just wanted to do a P. Stewart abstract effect.

Cheer
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Sister #2 by Janet.jpg (91.9 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2004, 12:30 PM

Chuch a chweet baby girl!

I used the healing brush, levels, lighting effect, vp fade, but i still feel i could have done better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holly-web1.jpg (72.8 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2004, 02:46 PM

I rode on Jaykita's coat tails... working on the nicely done eyes fix and backgound replace.

* Applied the attached action.
* Turned off the Texture layer (not needed).
* Created a new layer at the top of the layer stack (named it "Painted") and Alt + Layer > Merge visible to merge all layers into it without collapsing the rest.
* Duplicated "Painted" and applied Impressionist custom setting djr#Oils24 (available in this thread). Renamed this layer "Oils24."
* Duplicated "Painted" again. Renamed this layer "Charcoal Default" and applied Impressionist > Charcoal > Default (Background = Imae). Applied Hide All layer mask to this layer (Layer > Add Layer Mask > Hide all).
* Duplicated layer C and dragged to the top of the layer stack. Applied Photoshop Dry Brush filter and added a Hide All layer mask. Renamed this layer "Dry Brush"
* Clicked the layer mask of layer "Charcoal Default" and airbrushed white to tone down the edginess of the "Oils24" layer below.
* Clicked the layer mask of layer "Dry Brush" and airbrushed white around eyes and mouth to restore detail in these areas.
* Created a new layer at the top of the layer stack (named it "Merged Layers") and Alt + Layer > Merge visible to merge all layers into it without collapsing the rest.
* Applied Unsharp Mask to the top layer to give it a more painterly look.

Thanks, Janet, for letting us work over Holly and to you Jakita for doing all the hard work!

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Janet's angel Jaykita-djr.jpg (97.3 KB, 56 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip ART-Oils by Ted LaCascio v2.zip (2.0 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2004, 08:25 AM

Danny, hope you enjoyed the ride, heehee!!
This one's more like a color sketch. Dont know what else to call it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holly-web3.jpg (98.6 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2005, 04:22 PM

Red face Learning skin tones

Janet your angel is beautiful! Thank you for allowing us to work with Holly our gorgeous model for today...

I have been collecting all the info on skin tones, Axleuk told me to use noise median of which i had never used before and that i have tried to do with this delightful picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP-Sister #2skintones.jpg (77.3 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2005, 08:35 AM

One more for this little darling!
Brushwork with default paintbrush oval 45 pixel normal, crosshatch filter, texturizer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sangel-web.jpg (95.2 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors