RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Blond looking Relaxed

Old 10-16-2004, 12:57 AM

Ya know, I think this is one of the most outstanding threads I've ever seen in 2+ years of this forum. This is just a fabulous collection...

CJ: Just an awesome modern art piece to start out and set the pace for the rest of us to follow. You follow up color illustration is lovely, too.

Christine: Your "Busting far outside the lines" absolutely ROCKS! ("wild & crazy is good" sometimes) and your last one (the posterize + smudge stick) is one of the best I've ever seen you do.

Ro: Just about every time I look over one of your layers palette snapshots, I'm amazed at what you bring to the table. You use layer combinations and effects like no one I've ever seen before. You hurt my brain sometimes - in a good way! My fav: The purplish graphic pen-line effect!

Janet: Speaking for all of us, I'm delighted you're having fun. It shows in your creativity. The crop and rotate was brilliant.

Cheryl: Welcome back... Glad you found a few minutes to play. You sure haven't lost a step.

Dave: You're really getting the hang of Trimoon's method. This is one of the better ones I've seen. I like the cutout x2 version, too. Very avante gard.

Amy: Hard to find a more creative effort than yours. Simply a marvelous creation. You outdid yourself here.

Jaykita: The combination of VP + Impressionist = very artistic rendition. I don't know what I'd do w/o Impressionist. I like your version very much.

Neve: Your soft and gentle touch on this one is just right.

It's an honor and a pleasure to hang with such a talented and nice group of folks.

- - - - - - - -

Having struggled lately trying to make sense of the Trimoon WC method and being a little disappointed in my 1st Wow WC attempt, I fell back onto something that was comfortable and predictable.

I started out by applying an action that came with the PS 7 Wow book called Wow Watercolor. See LP snapshot for the next several additional layers of which Impressionst rendered two.

I flattened the stack and saved a copy that was opened in Painter 8, where I applied "Grainy" Bender brush strokes. Saved stroked version and back to Photohop to finish up: Oversharpened with Unsharp Mask, applied Levels and added stroke frame.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blond leaning on elbow djr.jpg (97.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Blond leaning on elbow djr - LP.jpg (21.5 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2004, 01:12 AM

Optipix

Nice work everyone!

This is with my new found toy:

OPTIPIX > Select Edges > Fine Detail

Click HERE for more information on this plugin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lady.jpg (96.6 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 10-16-2004 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Added link to post where more info on this plugin can be found.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2004, 09:14 AM

So many interesting entries on this image.

Corrected color and hue.
Embossed lightly.
FP lacquer
Multiple contrast adjustments.
Nik midnight.
Xero clairity.
Nik Skylight.
Virtual painter watercolor.
Lightened face.
Darkened edges slightly
layer styles.
Several different dirt brushes to create border.
Color solarization using several masks.
trim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP-Blond-LQQKER.jpg (98.7 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by LQQKER; 10-31-2004 at 09:19 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2004, 09:22 AM

Used the image to define a pattern stamp. Added a white fill layer above the BG and set opacity to 50%. Added another layer above that to "paint in." Selected the Pattern Stamp tool and used various sized brushes to paint in the image. Flattened and added some sandstone texture.

Catia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Catia-Blond-leaning-on-elbo.jpg (98.3 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2004, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catia
Used the image to define a pattern stamp. Added a white fill layer above the BG and set opacity to 50%. Added another layer above that to "paint in." Selected the Pattern Stamp tool and used various sized brushes to paint in the image. Flattened and added some sandstone texture.

Catia
I sure like this method. It sure opened my eyes to some interesting possibilities. Did you use Wow pattern stamp brushes or some of your own? This one turned out especially nice.

I was glad to see your post. Your creativity is always welcome.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2004, 01:06 PM

Thanks for your comments Danny. Yes, I used the Wow PS Watercolor brush. A tutorial and brush downloads can be found here http://www.software-cinema.com/wow/ .

Catia
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2004, 03:32 PM

Well, I just followed Trimoon's Portrait Tutorial. Not much of my own creativities...
But love to hear what do you think...

Celestine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP-Blond leaning on elbow-small.jpg (60.3 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2004, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestine
Well, I just followed Trimoon's Portrait Tutorial. Not much of my own creativities...
But love to hear what do you think...

Celestine
Welcome back, Celestine...

Trimoon has written a number of tutorials and I can't keep all of them straight. Which one did you follow? In any event, I'd say you socked a home run on this one. Nicely done.

...and don't stay away so long next time!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2004, 06:45 PM

Great Job!!! Celestine, you hit this one right on the mark.

Which tutorial?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2004, 06:56 PM

Gave Painter 6 watercolors a try with this lovely lady....

Had lost so much of her hair & eyes ...decided to try again. The foundation of the pix was using a version of Trimoon's history technique and a version of SW Engineer http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-art-101/9114-simple-but-effective-photoart-technique.html

then back to Painter 6, to use watercolor brushes...mostly from 5.5 default.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trimoon-CP-Blond-673-524.jpg (38.4 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by GOLDCOIN; 11-08-2004 at 12:51 PM. Reason: add an updated pix
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors