RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Bride with Flowers in her Hair

Old 01-04-2005, 05:22 PM

I appreciate your encouragement...thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2005, 07:09 PM

Another Wacom Effort

Painter XI:

Like Neve, i have just received my Wacom recently, in fact i received it a few hours ago.

I have never used a tablet before nor have I ever looked into Painter as an application to work with, but after viewing some of the work that has been posted using such a application, i had to try it for myself.

You will have to excuse my lack of description as i only started to mess around with this image and did not pay attention too much to what i was actually doing, but if i recall i started out by going over the image in acrylic, very similiar to Neve's taking time to try and keep the some sort of physical resemblence. I varied the brush sizes to accomadate the different levels of detail i wanted to keep then saved and opened it again in Photoshop, applied a smidgeon of smartblur and smoothed out a few of what i can only call 'minor' distractions and finished it off with a canvas texture.

I beleive the original has a much cleaner refined look than the compressed version, but alas here she is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brideoil2.jpg (99.6 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2005, 12:34 AM

Wonderful first effort Axle both with Painter and your Wacom....YEAH!!!!! Keep 'em coming whatever you do. Tell me, have you tried to use the eraser yet on your Wacom Pen....mines isn't working at all. ? I will have to investigate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2005, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neve
Wonderful first effort Axle both with Painter and your Wacom....YEAH!!!!! Keep 'em coming whatever you do. Tell me, have you tried to use the eraser yet on your Wacom Pen....mines isn't working at all. ? I will have to investigate.
Thanks Neve.....regarding the eraser, i seem to remember at one point it was working, but now it seems to select a colour, which leads me to believe that it is custom configurable.

HAve you read this post yet Neve ? http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/non-retouchpro-resources/9482-corel-painter-xi.html i found it to be very useful at helping you navigate the interface.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2005, 11:42 AM

There have been some fabulous renditions for this, can't wait to see what Axle and Neve will come up with once they get used to there Wacoms and Painter.

Re: the eraser - when you turn the pen to the eraser it should automatically bring up the eraser brushes in painter.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2005, 03:23 PM

Bride with flowers in her Hair...

Hello i am very new to this forum, and i cannot see how i can add a small photograph, i did my version to this beautiful bride, can someone please tell me do i just add a photo with the icon provided or do i need to reduce it in size before upload it?
Legacy
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2005, 03:32 PM

Thumbs down Bride with flowers in her Hair...(try again)

Please help...

Ok i uploaded an attachment i also made it into a thumbnail i can upload the larger version if needed.

Legacy

( Thank you Danny for your help )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg porcelainandsoftborder.jpg (88.4 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Legacy~Art; 01-05-2005 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Uploading correct size picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2005, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy~Art
Please help...

Ok i uploaded an attachment i also made it into a thumbnail i can upload the larger version if needed.

Legacy
Welcome, Legacy:

I admire your tenacity (in getting the pic uploaded) and from what I could see of it, your talent, too.

If you're using Photoshop, you can size your images to ~ 8" x 10" at 72-80 ppi, then use File > Save for Web and adjust the quality setting to get the image < 100 KB.

If you like click the Edit button for your post, the Manage Attachments button and delete the too-tiny-to-appreciate attachment and upload a larger one.

In any event, I'm glad you found us and jumped right in with a creation.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2005, 03:55 PM

Bride with Flowers in her Hair

Oh Danny thank you, i shall try that now. Legacy
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2005, 02:38 AM

Well Done Legacy-art, nice result. She seems to have a sparkle about her.

Axle - thanks for the useful link, I've earmarked it to check out in a week's time, I'm off again to babysit the grandkids for a while (school holidays here).
There's a great deal to learn re Painter but I'm determined to stick with it as the results I've seen others achieve are simply outstanding and at times breath-taking.

Christine - I hadn't even got around to checking out any erasers in Painter8 yet. They don't come up automatically, however, it is now working when I go select that category. Thank you. There's probably a configuration involved as Axle suggested and I'll check that later on also.

I'm relieved I'm not the only one new to Painter LOL
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors