RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Bride with Flowers in her Hair

Old 11-20-2005, 06:00 PM

jaykita - love your watercolor softish effect, brilliantly done to get that very soft look
axle - like your watercolored background version on the first version, and love your great looking background on the second version
neve - love the impasto effect you got on the hair
legacy - like your out of the frame effect
pamsav - always liked your work, and you have plenty of them
rainday - love your second version which has a great frame effect, and love your background, I need to learn to make such great backgrounds.

Danny - thanks for the welcome and thank you for the great tutorials and stuff, and are you sure there is only one of you ?

My modest version is done in Painter 9 with Acrylic with Captured Bristle variant and tried to add some paint and blend in lightly. Will be quite a while before I can match the great talent here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pc093bridewithflowerfinal.jpg (97.4 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2005, 04:53 AM

Server went down at work and this is the only site I can get to so I thought I'd have a play at this one while I wait.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bride.jpg (93.6 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2005, 08:22 PM

hmmm, mine ended up in a new thread.. Don't know why it happened. Have been playing with smudge painting. Would like to know how to get the beautiful edge effects the atist get, like in Catherin's image.
~Nancy~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bride.jpg (85.2 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2005, 09:17 PM

Nancy, you can use plugins like Extensis Photoframe, or Auto FX Photo/Graphic edges. If you want to make your own you can make a layer mask and use some of the different natural media brushes to paint an edge around the image. When it looks the way that you want it you apply mask. You can have a paper layer under it so that it looks like it was painted on. You can then use the eraser with a low opacity to fade areas around edge. I am sure that there are many other ways to do it too.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2005, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazubi
Nancy, you can use plugins like Extensis Photoframe, or Auto FX Photo/Graphic edges. If you want to make your own you can make a layer mask and use some of the different natural media brushes to paint an edge around the image. When it looks the way that you want it you apply mask. You can have a paper layer under it so that it looks like it was painted on. You can then use the eraser with a low opacity to fade areas around edge. I am sure that there are many other ways to do it too.

Cathy
Hi Cathy,
Thanks for the response. I have Photographic edges volume 4, but looking for more of a real painted look. I will try your suggetions...
Thanks,
Nancy
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 08:28 AM

Nan, you have Photographic Edges? I've wanted that for such a long time but just can't make myself turn loose of the money for it. How do you like it, and would you buy it again?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 11:05 AM

Hi Catherine,
I have volume 4, and to tell you the truth there are only maybe 10 or so that I like enough to use.. There are three action sets for borders here: www.liknes.no/photoshop
I haven't tried then, but they look nice in the representation. I have been playing with the history brush and some brushes and I like some of the results I am achiving, although I'll have to work at it a little more to get it down.
Nancy
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 11:13 AM

Catherine, I also have Photoframe and I really like the program. It is very easy to use because it is a PS plugin and 10,000 edges and frames are instantly available to you. I also have AutoFx Photographic Edges (I am addicted to plugins) and I don't like it as well. I'm lazy and don't like to mess around with edges that I have to make myself.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 02:48 PM

Thanks, Nancy & Cathy. I saved the sites to my favorites for the actions and PhotoFrame, and I'll go back and browse a little later. I love plugins and actions, too. The most recent filters I've bought lately are Organic Edges & Sketch Master.

Last edited by raniday; 11-29-2005 at 04:01 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Patron

What do you think of this oil?

GIMP's NL filter, Paint Engine, Impressionist, Cybia's Colourworks filter and some smudging (please don't ask what steps; I tend to go a little crazy and end up with something that I rarely can reproduce exactly; LOL).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flowers in her hair.jpg (98.8 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors