RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Bride with Flowers in her Hair

Old 01-02-2005, 08:08 PM

Creative Portraits: Bride with Flowers in her Hair

The happy bride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flowers in her hair.jpg (99.4 KB, 180 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2005, 11:38 PM

Xero Line Art, Painter IX and Helen Yancy Tutorials.

Christine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flowers-in-her-hair-Paintin.jpg (99.3 KB, 159 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 01:36 AM

Xaran,
Your impression is simply wonderful to look at. I have been trying to acheive a similiar look with limited success.

You mention Helen Yancy tutorials, are these online based or are they the ones that Helen features on her DVD's ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 02:36 AM

The DVD Tutorials - worth the money in my opinion.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 04:43 AM

Blushing Bride

Very Nice, Christine.
I did one layer of vp airbrush (lowered opacity), and one render-clouds layer, after retouching and manipulation of the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blushing-bride-web.jpg (84.3 KB, 114 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 04:55 AM

Jaykita, i love your take on the bride, but if i may be so bold as to mention one detail that has caught my attention, the red blotch in the hair above the flower, i find this a slight distraction and think that perhaps the image would benefit if you erased it. Just a little observation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axleuk
Jaykita, i love your take on the bride, but if i may be so bold as to mention one detail that has caught my attention, the red blotch in the hair above the flower, i find this a slight distraction and think that perhaps the image would benefit if you erased it. Just a little observation.
Hello Axleuk, if you look closer, you'll notice many such blotches, like the one on the ribbon to the right But thats the style i normally go for. Perfectly imperfect, i'd like to think! However, i thank you for your advice, and decided to take it. Hence this next image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blushing-bride-web.jpg (77.4 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 05:41 AM

Hi Jaykita, in my humble opinion, the second image looks nicer and cleaner, even with the other blotches i think the balance is just right now. Your style is great, and the whole feel of the image is very warming, it was just that red blotch that kept catching my eye that i found slightly distracting.

I would do a rendition myself, but the monitor i have here in work is aweful and i fear the image would look different to you guys ( and gals ) than it would to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 06:48 AM

Ok, at the risk of embaressing myself with my monitor issues, i still went ahead and had a go at this image.

This method involved duplicating the image several times, basic retouching skills, hue and saturation at each stage, running the impressionist plug-in a few times at varying levels, selective opacity erasing, and then merging layers together with the whitewashed frame.

I wanted to acheive a dreamy serene effect, but i think i ran away a little too much ( never know when to stop ), still, was fun and learnt something new along the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bride.jpg (97.6 KB, 107 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 07:05 AM

Nice subject to work with. So far I'm liking the different versions.

Jaykita, yours is great as always. You really have a talent for this arty stuff.

Axle, yours is very nice too.

Xaran, I'm glad you have so much to work with. It gives a whole new dimension to the game. Great job.

Janet
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors