RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: The Fisherman

Old 04-04-2005, 04:19 PM

Nothing overtly creative here--just some filters from PS6.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (35.5 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2005, 06:38 PM

I thought that maybe this man needed to look a bit more like a tough-guy, perhaps for an earlier decade. Hope I succeeded.

Once again, I need to track my steps.......

T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smokingman.jpg (96.0 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 11:05 AM

Thank you so much, Mark, for your wonderful comments, though at the risk of sounding cliched, everybody is an artist! I dont fancy myself as being in any way more talented than anyone else. I truly believe we all have the potential to become great(er) artists, but it takes a certain fire from within to make that happen. Maybe i should shut up now. Anyway, you made my day!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 09:43 PM

This one was created using the Gimp. I used the Graphite_2 settings for the Gimpressionist plug-in as well as the Van Gogh (LIC) plug-in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP-Fisherman R.Fair-gimp.jpg (49.7 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2005, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacobs
This one was created using the Gimp. I used the Graphite_2 settings for the Gimpressionist plug-in as well as the Van Gogh (LIC) plug-in.
I'm glad you found this part of the site, too. (This is where Lyle posts his handiwork on occasion.) My compliments on this very unique interpretation.

Where did you get these Gimp plugins?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2005, 02:36 PM

I wanted a drawing look, but didn't want to lose the details in this man's face. So much character there!

Photoshop CS

1. Duplicated the image and took the duplicate from RGB to Grayscale to pure black and white (Bitmapped) with 50% as the cut off point for grays.
2. Took this b/w version back through grayscale to RGB and then selected all the white areas and deleted the white. This left a a very definitive "sketch" for the details in his face.
3. Moved the sketch over to the original RGB document (holding down the shift key so it would center exactly to the origina)l This is the top layer at 100%
4. I then duplicated the Background (original) layer and ran a curves AL, but instead of using the normal curve tool, I opted for the pencil and broke up the midtones and got this wild array of color throughout his face. I set the AL to 28% opacity. I "clipped" the AL to the color copy below it.
5. I then went into the Background copy layer again and used the Liquify tool with a big brush to push the color areas around so they were more random. Also did a pretty strong Gaussian Blur to soften the effect.
6. I added a new layer under the Background copy layer and ran black & white clouds filter and some noise and G Blur to break up the color even more. 100% opacity
7. Set the Background copy layer to 53% opacity to let some of the clouds layer underneath show through.

BTW... I always work on duplicates of the original background layer so I can go back and start from scratch or have the original to add another layer somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swampy-CP-Fisherman-R.Fair.jpg (32.5 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2005, 05:28 PM

The graphite_2 preset for gimpressionist came from the wingimp site (http://www.wingimp.org/tutorial/) and the vangogh (LIC) plugin is standard with the latest releases. I think the graphite_2 preset is much better than the standard line drawing presents for gimpressionist.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Patron

Retinex shadow reduction.

Not art this time, but I just wanted to share with you all a technique that I've been playing around with for a long time. Retinex has been around for a long time; GIMP has a cool plugin called Retinex which implements this algorithm. I duplicated for a total of three layers. I run Retinex on the top layer. I set the layer property to Grain Extract. I merge the top two layers and Invert the resulting layer. I set the new layer property to Overlay (duplicate as needed adjusting Opacity for the top layer to taste) and flatten.

Reserve the right to render him later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP-Fisherman R[1].Fair.jpg (91.6 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Patron

Didn't take long.

Did a Niemanesque rendering using Impresionist Color Tinfoil and Colored Pencil presets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Niemanesque.jpg (99.4 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 10:45 PM

Many great renditions on this image.

Here's mine in Painter 9, using Wet Oils.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fishermanwebo.jpg (96.4 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors