RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Redhead in a Hat with a Pensive Look

Old 02-01-2005, 11:45 PM

Bravo, Janet

Excellent work, Janet! Her eyes --well, she seems to have had some sort of revelation., some shocking news? Just a thought, dont mind me, but i'd rather she was looking directly at me. What dya say?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2005, 09:39 AM

I'm still playing with blending modes. She looks cold to me (and I don't mean the temperature), so I gave her an barren and icy domain.

For what it is worth,

Janet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ice-Princess.jpg (96.6 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2005, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty
I'm still playing with blending modes. She looks cold to me (and I don't mean the temperature), so I gave her an barren and icy domain.

For what it is worth,

Janet
Snow queen? BRRRR! She's looking right at me! Great Job there, Janet. Tell me, did you use the KPT filter for this effect?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2005, 05:06 PM

My ignorance is now up for public display. What is the KPT filter?

So I guess the answer would have to be no. Since I don't know what it is.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2005, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty
My ignorance is now up for public display. What is the KPT filter?

So I guess the answer would have to be no. Since I don't know what it is.

Janet
Here's some info on KPT for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2005, 09:52 PM

Bravo Janet II

Corel Painter, yes?

Holy smokes! You're on fire, girl!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2005, 11:41 PM

How did I miss this marvellous first effort by you Janet.....hooray...it's a smasher!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2005, 08:31 PM

First time posting. Hello everyone! (echoes of "Hello Paul" ring back).

First thing, doubled the resolution then:

1) Stretched the hue range in the hair

2) Tried a VP Oil that didn't work

3) Tried a KPT Pyramid Paint that worked better

4) Blended that VP Oil layer at about 30% to get the color into the blacks since my old art instructor would have shot me for using true black in a painting

5) Pulled into Corel Painter and stroked a clone with the Oil cloner. Pulled the hair and jacket in the right directions, left the other strokes at 45 degree angle.

6) Fixed her nose and bags under the eyes

7) Created a couple of quick framing options and halved the resolution back down.

Can't wait to get deeper into these forums. This is a gold mine considering everything I just did I had to figure out on my own while it seems old hat around here. What a great resource and a great community!!!

Still a little too photographic, although the full res images show the strokes a bit more. My studio sells to people who have us take the photos, so I tend to constrain my creativity to things I think the customer (in this case the unknown woman in the hat) would buy. Keeping this goal in mind, I would love some constructive criticism and ideas about what to improve on. Compliments are always appreciated, but they don't help me get better. I have thick skin and would prefer the the American Idol - Simon Cowell honesty.

Thanks,
-paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redhead1.jpg (73.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Redhead2.jpg (62.1 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2005, 08:43 PM

Welcome to RP. You are right about this being a gold mine. The people and resources here are the best.

While some will give you criticism, most will enjoy your art, offer suggestions, learn from you, share their ideas, etc. This is a place were art is explored and expanded upon for the sheer joy of the subject. You will undoubtedly fit right in and find yourself feasting in photos and what can be accomplished with them just like the rest of us. And you will bring a new dimension with depth and perspective that will enrich our abilities as well.

BTW, I like the transformation of the redhead. You did wonders for her.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2005, 10:30 PM

Welcome Paul! I like your effort overall. Since you asked, here's my 2c for things to consider:
I like the 2nd framing effort. The 1st still has too much of the busy background showing. The faint streaks of color in the hat and cape are very nice. The light colored wrap around the hat is too light / lacking detail. In fact its kind of a distraction as the brightest object in the scene. Finally, as you noted, it still has a strong photographic character. In this regard, the woman's face doesn't quite fit in with the more 'artified' hair and clothing.

Hope to see more from you in the future.

-Mark
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors