RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors Thinking about expanding beyond your traditional portrait and/or restoration, retouching and colorizing black and white image services? Find out what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Creative Portraits: Woman with a Hat

Old 03-21-2005, 01:50 AM

Woman with a Hat

Since there's so many classic painter work here, this is with PS

Distrote>pola>Rect to pola>angled strokes>Pola
This time Pola to rect> erazed edges, eyes,mouth and nose
Select all> copy merged>paste
duplicate copy. Render>lighting effects
Negative on 48
Tex channel>blue
white is high (hight 66)

Manju
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woman_with_a_Hat.jpg (98.2 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2005, 02:41 AM

Manju -- Great Look!

Thank you for showing new ways we can mix filters -- I've always loved the Polar distortions, but could only use them on non-human subjects because I never considered running another filter and then un-doing the distortion! Now there are so many more combinations to try!

Did a Sharpen-Diffuse, then Palette Knife between the Polar distortions and added your lighting recipe and faded a bit to my taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lady-in-Hat---polardist-cj.jpg (99.0 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2005, 05:50 AM

Tried a new approach with art history brush, pattern tool and layer style-satin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woman-hat-web.jpg (99.6 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2005, 07:08 PM

A real mix..

the first version..using a woodcut version, painted it in Painter & also added a layer of a watercolor done in Painter 6... all blended in Photoshop

the second was painted in Painter, custom brushes... impressionist detail mono from Pencils... then used the woodcut plug in in Painter 8... then painted, textured.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg womanupload-goldcoin1-598x600.jpg (76.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg womangoldcoindone=2woodcut584x598.jpg (76.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg womanwithhat-screenshot-woodcut.jpg (59.0 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2005, 08:15 AM

Gold Coin, I like both versions but i ESPECIALLY like the 2nd. Thanks for the woodcut details.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2005, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCOIN
A real mix..

the first version..using a woodcut version, painted it in Painter & also added a layer of a watercolor done in Painter 6... all blended in Photoshop

the second was painted in Painter, custom brushes... impressionist detail mono from Pencils... then used the woodcut plug in in Painter 8... then painted, textured.
Your combinations of effects are simply marvelous.

If I don't get anything done today, it's your fault: I'm gonna start checking out that Woodcut effect! Really appreciated the screenshot on that one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Patron

WC with the help of a lot of filters.

First, I duplicated the layer and ran DCSpecials Outliner4 filter set to colorbook. I then blur the base layer with a setting of 12 (still in GIMP by the way). I then set the top layer to Value and flatten. I port the whole thing into PS and duplicate the layer. I ran Flaming Pear's Pixel Trash on top layer and set it to Luminosity. I flatten and duplicated the layer again. I ran Impressionist Colored Pencil preset and adjust the opacity to 67%. Flatten. Done (well, I did autocontrast and increased the saturation a bit).

Oh yah; I added canvas texture too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg womanwithhat.jpg (99.0 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 04:08 PM

Nice image. Great colors that add nicely to manipulations.

Jolly looking lady too.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WomanHat2.jpg (98.0 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Patron

A b/w conversion this time.

My other hobby is converting photos to b/w. One technique that I've been perfecting has been dubbed Metallic b/w (dubbed on another forum by another member). I use GIMP Retinex filter for the effect. I changed it up some from my original method. What I did was duplicate for a total of three layers, run Retinex on the top layer (set to low setting), Set layer property to Grain Extract and merge down. Invert the colors of this layer and set to Overlay. I then flatten, duplicate the layer and run GIMP's Gradient Map conversion to convert to Greyscale (using a PseudoGrey preset that I wish I knew where I got it from, but lost the original link). I set the top layer to Hue (returns the b/w gradients back; you have to do this step, otherwide the image will be standard 256 tones instead of over 1000). Flatten and save (well, I did brighten it up some more). Let me know what you think of it. The overall effect tends to equalize (in a good way, I believe) the overall contrast of an image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg womanwithhat.jpg (57.9 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll
.....(well, I did brighten it up some more). Let me know what you think of it. The overall effect tends to equalize (in a good way, I believe) the overall contrast of an image.
I agree with you Ikroll, overall image contrast looks very nice this way! Looks like a winner, I don't have Gimp, and had never heard of Retinex til this post. I did a little searching and was impressed with many of the examples using the filter.

But what I'm more impressed with is how many people share so much info here at RP, and how much can be learned by experimenting. I honestly believe I've learned more about blending layers, and the resulting effects, in the last couple of weeks, than I have in the last few years. Amazes me, the talent here.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors