RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Feedback Discussion of the retouchpro.com website and forums

Connection Problems

Old 03-09-2005, 02:30 AM

Connection Problems

Over the last week or so, I've had problems with my connection here. I connect OK, and everything functions fine, then sometimes if I've been on a while, the site seems to lock up and stop responding to me. If I break connection, it will not allow me to re establish for about 10 mins. Then when I finally manage to make a connection everything seems to run fine.

I'm using Firefox as my browser on a dial up connection. I don't appear to have this problem on other sites.

Also when I try to log out, I get a prompt saying log out failed, and another screen pops up to allow me to log out fully.

Am I the only one with this problem?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 03:11 AM

Okay here

Haven't had any trouble over the last week.

Am not using Firefox, but IE ( only thing my wireless safely responds too ).

Just to reassure.

T
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 08:33 AM

I get the error on logout, but it does not seem to cause any other problems.
I can log right back in afterwards.
Using IE with T1 (wish I had that speed at home
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 09:50 AM

The log out "problem" really does'nt cause a problem, I just mentioned it as it may be indicative.

As the fault is intermittent in nature it will probably be difficult to pin down, I was just wondering if anyone else had any problems of a similar type, because if so the problem might be site based rather than a fault with my system set up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Janitor

The logout thing isn't you, it's me (or at least it's the software). Hopefully it will be fixed in a future update.

The connection thing I'm less sure about. Is it usually at the same time? The server reboots at about the same time, but that's at 4am (CST). And there's the traditional 5pm internet slowdown (when everyone quits work and starts frantically taking care of personal surfing before going home).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 04:46 PM

How far behind GMT is CST, then I might be able to tell.

This is a fairly recent thing, and I have'nt noticed any particular pattern as yet. As I said earlier, it's a bit intermittent and irregular, which of course will not aid finding the cause.

It's not too big a problem in as much as it's not constant, just a pain when it does happen. I only posted really to find if it was something others suffered, and possibly that would have given a common link.

Will monitor the situation more carefully, logging times, and see if that casts a light.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Janitor

I think CST is 6 hours behind GMT.

It may have nothing to do with anything, but there are times when I can't access this site (and several other sites, but not all), but a quick traceroute shows that it isn't the site, but my ISP. Since it never lasts longer than a few minutes and (up until now) no one else has ever mentioned anything similar I wrote it off as my ISP pretty much sucking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 06:47 PM

No problems here

So sorry to hear of your connection problem Gary. To let you know, I also use Firefox, but I have DSL. I do have some slow connection times to all sites on occasion, but it is due to "busy" times. Maybe if you didn't spend so much time on this site like the rest of us RetouchPRO addicts, it might happen when going to other sites as well. LOL. But then again, who would want to spend time anywhere else?!! Anyway, I know that Doug has chosen a great server because for a little while I was a member of a writing site, and even with DSL, I had such a hard time signing on that I eventually gave up going there. Hope you get your troubles resolved soon.
Jessy
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2005, 02:05 AM

Don't think its the server re-boot, as that would be about 10am here, though I've been working odd hours just lately, and I may have been online at that time.

I think the most likely cause is ISP, they're currently pushing broadband connections, so there's probably a lot of upgrading of equipment going on.

Thanks everyone for your support on this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 03:07 AM

Hi Doug,

Got locked out yesterday at 08:17 GMT for 10 mins, and again today at 08:17 GMT, this time for 25 mins.

During that time I could connect to other sites with no problem, which would tend to exclude problems with my ISP.

Wonder if I get routed through a particular router which has a shutdown at that time. The nature of packet switched networks would tend to suggest not, but if no one else is having these problems it would suggest it's not a site problem either.

I'll keep monitoring, if its just at 8:17 that this happens, I'll just have to change my access times.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback